Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anchorage to Homer-help please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anchorage-to-homer-help-please-794919/)

bbobo Jul 10th, 2009 05:49 PM

Anchorage to Homer-help please!

We plan to pick up car in Anchorage after a cruise/land tour, taking 4 days to explore between there and Homer. We can get the car in the morning. Should we spend a night on the way to Homer? Where? -or just get to Homer then branch out from there.
We are nature lovers, hoping to see many animals, birds,bears and perhaps halibut fish. Is there a standard price for packing and shipping it home or does this vary between charters?
Can you suggest b&bs or cabins? what are the not-to-be missed places along the way? Can we get to Kodiak and are there excursions we can book when we get to Homer? Does anyone know what a good price might be for that kind of trip?
Thanks, everyone, for any and all information.We signed on to this trip just a few days ago so I'm scrambling to put it together, having not even booked flights yet!! (don't worry, they're on 'hold' for a day!)

Orlando_Vic Jul 10th, 2009 06:13 PM

bbobo-
I have driven from Anchorage to Homer, stayed there and driven back. I can help with <u>some</u> of your questions, but not <u>all</u> of them.

What is the first priority?

bbobo Jul 10th, 2009 07:31 PM

Perhaps seeing grizzlies at Kodiak?-if we can afford it. Next is fishing. Thanks!

dfrostnh Jul 11th, 2009 02:03 AM

Don't rush the drive from Anchorage to Homer. It takes about 5 hours but the best scenery is between Anchorage and the turn off to Seward as the road runs along the coast. We always seemed to make the trip when the tide was low but if it is high you might see whales. You have good chances of seeing mountain sheep. Although you are just getting off a cruise, an all day boat trip out of Seward will get you much closer to a lot more birds and sea animals. We also took a nature cruise on the Danny C to Seldovia from Homer but didn't think we saw as many animals and birds. The Seldovia trip was mostly birds and sea otters. You don't have much time so a bear viewing trip would be time better spent. We took the easy way out for sending fish home. Just ordered it at a place in Soldotna and had it shipped. The most expensive part of that deal was shipping it. If you decide to do the boat trip out of Seward, then I would suggest an overnight there. It's about 3 hours from Seward to Homer. Homer to Anchorage is about 5 hours. Keep in mind Homer is the end of the road unless you do a flightseeing/bear viewing trip from there.

Orlando_Vic Jul 11th, 2009 05:11 AM

bbobo-
Your best bets for halibut charters would probably be in Ninilchik or Homer (Homer is known as the Halibut fishing capital of the world). I would make your lodging reservations first and then ask the B&B owners or motel manager for local charter boat recommendations. They would probably be the best source of unbiased information.

A good charter organization should also have a working relationship with a fish processor who can clean, fillet, vacuum seal, flash freeze and even ship your fish home via Federal Express.

If you are looking for a B&B recommendation in Homer, I can recommend Victorian Heights B&B http://www.victorianheightsbedandbreakfast.com/ without hesitation. They are three diamond AAA rated and offer large rooms with a great view, from the hills, of the Homer Spit. Their breakfasts were also pretty good too.

Gardyloo Jul 11th, 2009 07:14 AM

Given your time frame the only way to get to and from Kodiak is to fly.

Bill_H Jul 11th, 2009 01:57 PM

<b>Perhaps seeing grizzlies at Kodiak?</b>

Best way to see the bears up close (real close, often within just a few yards) is to do a bear-viewing day-trip from Homer to Katmai with someone like Emerald Air or Bald Mountain. This is not cheap, probably around $600/person, but will likely be the highlight of your trip.

Obviously Kodiak has many bears too, but they are hunted heavily (unlike at Katmai National Park) and it will take longer to get to Kodiak via ferry or plane and then fly out again to get near the bears than it will take you to fly from Homer across to Katmai.

These trips are often weathered out (pilots cannot fly) so if you plan it from Homer at least you can do other stuff from Homer like fish or kayak.