Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anchorage 1 night stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anchorage-1-night-stay-558146/)

bythecee521 Sep 13th, 2005 07:13 AM

Anchorage 1 night stay

We are going to Alaska in August of 2006. We need to stay in Anchorage one night before departing for Denali. Any suggestions? Looking for clean and quiet with a hot shower, nothing luxurious...just a good resting place before our journey begins.
thanks!

Dorothy01 Sep 13th, 2005 10:26 AM

If you want inexpensive, then you might want to try the Spenard Hostel. You do have to share a bathroom (but there are several and they are extremely clean). The cost is per person (around $15 to $20) for a bed in a room for four. There were three of us so we paid for four and had a private room. We arrived in Anchorage around 10:00 PM and were departing early the next morning. Even though we flew first class, we did not want to pay $200 for a hotel room for less than eight hours. We found the Spenard Hostel to be quite satisfactory. I did get some strange looks when I drug my Louis Vuitton bags up the stairs at the hostel.

The hostel is near the airport and offers shower facilities for around $5.00; the Anchorage Airport does not have public shower facilities. Even if you are a guest, you have to pay extra for towels (I think it was $0.25 or $0.50 per towel).

Over Labor Day 2005, we stayed at the Ramada Limited (very close to the Glen Highway that leads from Anchorage to Denali). Our rate for two with two queen beds and continental breakfast was $90 with tax.

BudgetQueen Sep 13th, 2005 04:05 PM

Will you have a car???

If so, The Teddy Bear House and Chicadee B&B's are in the $75 range with a shared bath. I have stayed at both. If you want a later start on your way to Denali Park, Alaska Walkabout includes free bikes which are a $30 savings over the rental for 2. Rate was $85 with a shared bath. Just stayed there again.

enjoylife Sep 13th, 2005 10:23 PM

Super 8 Motel -(800) 800-8000.

bythecee521 Sep 14th, 2005 04:35 AM

Thanks everyone for you help. I will check them all out. No budgetqueen, no car, we are going to use public transport/train to get around. The only thing that we are sure of right now is that we will be there for 10 days and will be spending 3 nights at Denali. Thanks again all.

BudgetQueen Sep 14th, 2005 04:42 AM

Anchorage is tough to see without a car outside of the downtown area. So that is where I suggest you look for a hotel. Days Inn is on the fringe and I would not recommend the Super 8, in a dicy area and no where near anything except for the airport.

Fabio Sep 15th, 2005 04:59 AM

try the Long House Hotel.

They have free shuttle bus from airport (like many others) but our room was extremely spacious as well as the extra large size of our two beds !!

Price was $ 110 I guess

afields Oct 2nd, 2005 12:36 PM

We stayed at the Captain Cook in June. Way overpriced.

bigtyke Oct 2nd, 2005 01:40 PM

we stayed at the Days Inn last year when we went to see the start of the Iditerod. It was only a couple of blocks from downtown and reasonably priced

Curt Oct 4th, 2005 07:26 AM

Are you leaving from airport on train to Denali? If so, then the Marriot Fairfield Inn is good. Free shuttle from airport and back, breakfast included, nice rooms. About 3 miles or so from airport. So won't need car or taxi. Check it out. It is pretty new so all is in great shape.

senderpaul1997 Oct 5th, 2005 08:10 PM

I have stayed at the Captain Cook in June and the price was comparable to everyone else downtown. Plus they have free Wi-Fi

pykiwi Oct 16th, 2005 11:47 AM

Do not, I repeat, do NOT stay at Jason's International Hostel. I needed a place to stay for one night and had to choose between paying $90 for a double room (me on my own) at a mid range hotel or paying $20 at Jason's for a single bed. I have stayed in a number of hostels in my day and felt happy when I looked at the website for Jason's because it looked pleasant. i even spoke to Jason himself on the phone to confirm my booking and to confirm he would be there at the time I arrived. But when I arrived after an exhausting flight, I was not in the mood for the reception I got (or lack of reception - was locked out of hostel for about 3 hours) or the state of the hostel. Filthy! I was one of two women travellers stuck in a room with about 20 blokes, who were living there permanently. I was meant to stay there on my return to Anchorage a week later but after the first sleepless night I opted for the more expensive mid range hotel. I just wish I could remember the name of it. Sorry. But whatever you do, avoid Jason's unless you are down to your last $20.

bythecee521 Nov 2nd, 2005 01:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the great advice.
I have another question for you. We would like to go sea kayaking (a day trip) before we leave. We are leaving from Anchorage but we are spending the 1st 4 nights at Denali. Any suggestions?
thanks again for your help.