Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Anaheim to Santa Barbara - museum along the way?

Anaheim to Santa Barbara - museum along the way?

Jul 28th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Anaheim to Santa Barbara - museum along the way?

We will be driving from Anaheim to Santa Barbara on a Saturday in August and would like to stop to see a museum along the way. We intend to leave early (8am) and don't need to get to Santa Barbara until about 5pm. We were considering the Getty, the Huntington or the Norton Simon. If time allowed we might include the Gamble House if Pasadena makes the most sense. Which would make the most sense in terms of traffic and not taking us too far out of the way?

Also any concerns still in Santa Barbara with the fires. I think that Goleta had an issue earlier in the month but its okay now. I think its okay to head to Cambria right now - Is this correct? The last thing I would want to do is add to the headaches of firefighters and those impacted by the fires. I've checked different news reports and websites but still don't have a clear picture. And I do understand that with wildfires things change pretty quickly.

Thanks in advance.
Jul 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM

The Getty would be very convenient, and early Saturday should be great for traffic. If the Getty doesn't open until 10, you could stop and see the La Brea Tar Pits from 9 to 10.

You could also fit in a short visit to the Reagan Library on your way to Santa Barbara. Getty to Reagan is about 25-30 mins, Reagan to Santa Barbara is about 1 hour 25 mins.

Keep your car radio set to AM news for constant updates on ever-changing fire information.
Jul 28th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

clark - thank you for your response. I didn't realize that the La Brea Tar Pits were in the vicinity of the Getty or that the Reagan Museum was closer to LA than Santa Barbara. I think I will stop at AAA to get a tripticket to map this out.
Jul 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM

The Getty is a very good choice, given that it is right off the freeway (405) that you you can take to SB.

The Tar Pits are great-- the Los Angeles County Museum of Art is in the same complex -- but they are not right off the freeway.

Either one would be a good choice.

Keep in mind Sat afternoon traffic will likley follow you most of the way to SB.

Fires are no where near the freeways right now, so you should be just fine. But keep the AM radio tuned to both 1070 and 980 for up to the minute traffic and fire news.
Jul 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM

There is also the Getty Mansion that I think has reopened, need parking reservations, it is just off Highway 1 near Malibu. Also the San Buenaventura's mission at Ventura just off the 101.
Jul 29th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions. Talked to DH and the Getty it is. Found out we could order picnic lunches online from their cafe.

I'm aware that we'll hit some traffic going to SB but that's the price you pay.

Thanks also for the tip for listening to AM radio.
Aug 26th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips on the Getty. We went last Saturday and it was wonderful. My budding architect daughter enjoyed the architecture tour and my shopper daughter loved the gift shops. I loved the whole place - especially the outdoor areas and European paintings. What a great place to go and spend an afternoon.

Search this Thread