Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Anaheim Convention Center Area (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/anaheim-convention-center-area-520554/)

detroit_sg Apr 12th, 2005 06:54 AM

Anaheim Convention Center Area

Hi-
I am heading to Anaheim later this month for a convention. Any suggestions on non-fast food restaurants (we usually do one "nicer"--$20-$30/plate place, and then quick dining the rest of the time)or non-Disney things to do? Any shopping areas within walking distance?
Any advice is appreciated!

lvk Apr 12th, 2005 07:18 AM

Unfortunately, the answer to both of your questions (shopping and dining) is Downtown Disney, which is across Katella from the Convention Center. The rest of the area around the CC is lined with souvenir shops, motels, fast food joints and chain restaurants.

Adjacent to the CC is a Hilton and a Marriott which have restaurants in them, also. Nothing spectacular, but it beats the awful concession stands in the CC.

detroit_sg Apr 12th, 2005 08:18 AM

Thanks, lvk.

I sort of figured that Disney permeated the area.

Any suggestions on restaurants, in the Disney area?

lvk Apr 12th, 2005 10:27 AM

I have only eaten at the Rainforest Cafe & House of Blues. They were fine, typical American food. I have heard good things about Ralph Brennan's Jazz Cafe. Here are your other choices:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...ingListingPage

dfrostnh Apr 12th, 2005 11:59 AM

The Quality Inn next to the Marriott has a good basic breakfast at a reasonable price. The Marriott has a Starbucks where you can get good sandwiches. There is also a sandwich shop/ice cream place on the lower level of the Hilton. There's a farmstand that sells fresh fruit across the street from the Quality Inn. You might want to bring an insulated bag. One of the problems with conventions is missing dinner and having a seminar that goes until 9pm. I liked the Hilton for nice dining if you don't have a car.

montyw Apr 12th, 2005 03:13 PM

We had lunch last week at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Cafe in Downtown Disney and it was very good, they have a good menu and the patio and deck seating was nice. We got there when they were having Sunday Jazz and enjoyed that with our lunch.

Another option would be a couple of miles away at "The Block at Orange" there is a Wolfgang Puck Cafe, a Brewery and the place we chose Cafe Tu Tu Tango - which had great small plate fusion food. The Block is just past the Crystal Cathedral and gets you out of the disney area.

rjw_lgb_ca Apr 12th, 2005 03:47 PM

Yep, Downtown Disney is one of your ONLY bets within walking distance. Ralph Brennan's Jazz Café is fine, and surely beats Rainforest Café (an atrocity IMHO) and House of Blues (not bad, but far from great). I've heard good things about Napoli, the Italian restaurant at DD. Napa Rose at the Grand Californian is true fine dining, but will run way over $30 a person once you're done. If you can get out of Anaheim at all, I could rattle off dozens of good dining options.

No good shopping within walking distance. If you can get a car, South Coast Plaza is probably the apotheosis of mall shopping-- huge, upscale, off-the-scale. Fashion Island is not in the same class vis-à-vis selection of shops, but you can do far worse than shopping in Newport Beach.

Mary2Go Apr 12th, 2005 06:31 PM

For a "nicer" meal I would suggest Mr. Stox which is about a five minute drive from the convention center area. It is probably closer to $30-$40 a plate but it is an excellent non-trendy very nice dinner house. http://www.mrstox.com/about_mrstox.html
If you want to drive a bit further (15 minute drive) check out Old Town Orange. There are a couple of places I like that are also not chain restaurants...PJ's Abbey in an old church, Felix's Cafe Continental, a Cuban sidewalk cafe that is on the old fashioned traffic circle. There are lots of antique shops, great atmosphere, they frequently use the area for movie location shoots.

detroit_sg Apr 13th, 2005 05:33 AM

Thanks everyone! I think we'll probably stick within walking distance, since Mr. Stox was booked the night we can all go out. Anyone here anything about the Uva Bar (not for the "nice" dinner, I know)?

sfamylou Apr 13th, 2005 05:42 AM

It's not too far to The Catch and some of the other local sports bars. I forget the name of the one across from the Pond. I've had snacks at the Catch and watched the Angels on TV. While it's not the best meal you'll ever have, if you like baseball it can be fun and different from the Disneyland scene.

RBCal Apr 13th, 2005 09:06 AM

Following are "nicer" restaurants near Disney but not in the park.

Cuban Petes Carribean Grill
1050 West Ball Road
(this is within easy walking distance)

White House Restaurant
887 S Anaheim Blvd
This will probably be over $30 per person but is one of the best restaurants in Orange County. It is a long walk but do-able.