Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Anaheim California - What's the closest Ntl Park and Is Palm Springs a Far Drive?

Search

Anaheim California - What's the closest Ntl Park and Is Palm Springs a Far Drive?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I've posted a question about Anaheim before but now that we're definitely going in November for my future hubby's conference, I want to get my head around what to do for the weekend before the conference.

So since it's November, Catalina Island, fr4om my prior post is out. How's Palm Springs like? Is it a far drive? Is it cold for November? What is there to do in Palm Springs? I've heard it could be a retirement home for the rich - is that true? We're around in our mid 30's and love food, arts, and outdoor activities.

How about National Parks? What's the closest and what would be the most fun one to go to for that time of the year (November)?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. If you have any for anaheim itself also, I'll be myself most of the week day but will have a car.

Maria
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Joshua Trees National Park will probably be the closest. (I'm not at home so I can't access my Micrsoft Steets and Trips Software). November will be the time of year to visit too, it won't be so hot.

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/

Utahtea
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Anaheim to Palm Springs is about 90 miles and would take about an hour and a half to drive without traffic. However if you are heading there on a Friday afternoon, it could take you 1 1/2 hours just to get to Riverside. So let us know when you'd be driving to Palm Springs (Saturday morning would be better).

November in Palm Springs is wonderful. The temperature has cooled down and it's much better for walking around. In Palm Springs there are art galleries and some good restaurants. Also the Palm Desert area is nice.

As far as National Parks are concerned, there aren't too many in So. Calif. However there is the Joshua Tree National Park which is close to Palm Springs. The Joshua tree is a unique tree that is found only in a few desert locations. There is good hiking there although I have never done it myself.

Here is the link to the website:
www.nps.gov/jotr

If you didn't want to drive to the desert, you could spend some time in Newport or Laguna Beach. Don't know what part of November you are traveling but the beach areas are still nice then. If you like art galleries, Laguna Beach is the place to go. In Nov, there are less crowds and usually the weather is nice enough to walk around and enjoy the sites. Also nice restaurants right on the beach in Laguna.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Many many thanks! I was thinking of Joshua Tree since i've never been and I have been wanting to visit Palm Springs. We only have one free night (Friday night) which means we will be flying in to either LAX or SNA (Orange County) and go from there (I'm hoping LAX is ok for his company otherwise it's more expensive to fly to SNA.

I don't think we'll be able to do both though (Joshua and Palm Springs) so I'm thinking of Palm Springs at this time. Can you tell me if it's true what they say about it being a retirement home for the rich?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I think we CAN do both! If we get there early enough, we can enjoy Palm Springs in the evening and the next day before we head out (late int he afternoon), go to Joshua Tree. Does that sound doable?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 01:19 PM

It defnitely sounds doable but I would probably head to Joshua Tree in the morning instead of late afternoon. That way you will have some time to look around before it gets dark.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Excellent! Paula, can you suggest a good inexpensive hotel in Palm Springs? I currently have reservations at Hilton Garden Inn at Rancho Mirage but was curious about the Best Western locations. There's one on Palm Canyon Drive and there's one on Hwy 111 and it says 2 blocks (aabout 1 mile away)from the El Paseo. Any recommendations? The hilton reservations is around $160 and the best western are going for aabout $100/$102. Something around the price range maybe? Many thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM

I stayed at the Best Western Las Brisas downtown Palm Springs, though it was in 2001. Very nice then and great location.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll check the Las Brisas one - is that within walking distance to the El Paseo area?

Anyone know what area I need to be looking for hotels if I want to walk to the galleries and restaurants of El Paseo?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM

El Paseo is in Palm Desert not Palm Springs. They are about 10 miles apart.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks RBCal. Sorry, never been there before so I didn't know. I guess that's what I mean - I need recommendations for Palm Desert - not Palm Springs, walking distance to all the galleries. Any recommendations?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Hi Maria!
We stayed at the Best Western LaBrisas in July '03 and it was very nice! Yes, it is definitely within walking distance to the famous street of shoppes (name escapes me) even tho it was really HOT when we were there. The pool isn't huge but its nice, with misters (mysters?)ect. Definitely a step up from most BWs.

We also explored Joshua Tree NP (a couple different trips) and its really cool. I imagine in November it will be awesome when it's not 124 in the shade

Have fun!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Hopefully someone who knows a little bit more about the art galleries can chime in here but I think both Palm Springs and Palm Desert have about the equal amount of galleries. The atmosphere between Palm Springs and Palm Desert is different. In Palm Springs, you can stay at a hotel right downtown and walk to the shops, galleries and restaurants. Everything is either on Palm Canyon or Indian Canyon. It has a more downtown feel.

Palm Desert and El Paseo is more upscale and to me more spread out. While you do see some people walking around it's not like Palm Springs. There are some restaurants on El Paseo but most hotels and restaurants are on Highway 111 and you would have to drive around more. Of course you will have a car so that doesn't really matter. If I was just spending one night, I think I would pick Palm Springs. You would have an enjoyable evening just walking around the area. The Las Brisas is good as already suggested.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

I'm so sorry everyone. I am so confused now. I thought I wanted Palm Springs but then I thought Palm Desert (from an article here at Fodors and some forum threads).

Let me start a new thread.....I'll post back with the link.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Can you guys follow this link?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35019115
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Seems like the new thread is leaning towards Palm Springs. I don't really have any hotels to recommend in Palm Desert. I had been thinking about the Embassy Suites but it didn't get too many good reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Personally I don't think it matters if you stay in Palm Springs or Palm Desert. You will have to drive to most anything you want to see. Even if you stay in downtown Palm Springs you will likely want to drive to shops/restaurants. Palm Canyon Drive stretches for a few miles. El Paseo is much shorter but the resorts are not within walking distance.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM

There is also Channel Islands National Park, it's a bit more involved to get out there though-

ian
http://www.inationalpark.com