Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

An incident ignored at an Extended Stay Hotels: Homestead Studio Suites, Cypress, California

An incident ignored at an Extended Stay Hotels: Homestead Studio Suites, Cypress, California

Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I along with our feline companion booked a three day vacation from the 9th to the 12th of this year, at an Extended Stay Hotel, called Homestead Studio Suites (a ‘pet friendly hotel’ that received two diamonds rating from the AAA Tourism Editors). My wife has been a member of the AAA club for 38 years so we received the ‘show your card & save’ rate. We asked for an accessible room, because my wife has a disability & has problem climbing stairs just in case they didn’t have elevators. So we were given a handicapped room which sounded okay with us. Upon our arrival to the hotel, we immediately noted a very strong animal urine stench from the front/back door; and all over the first floor and our room. Looking around the hallways we noted that the hotel needed cleaning, and maybe removal of the main source of the stench all throughout. Our room was small and dirty. The carpet was dirty with fowl smelling odor. The sofa had stains of what appeared to be bird droppings. There was missing furniture in the kitchenette, like chairs in order to sit down for meals. The microwave had splattered food stains from previous guests, was making strange noises and not heating up food properly. The office chair was dirty with all sorts of stains, in total disrepair & wasn’t even safe to be sitting on it. There were exposed electrical wires up on the ceiling. The sliding mirror door of the closet was not only all jammed tight that we couldn’t put anything inside; but also broken on the right lower side of it (a safety hazard). Our cat started itching so we had to buy her a flea collar as soon as we noted this. To make matters worse my wife had a bad fall, because the hotel neglected to properly assemble the metal/wooden frame, which was supposed to support the bed; so when my wife sat on the bed, the whole thing collapsed & she sustained a jarring & jerking motion of her spine. What if it was a paraplegic transferring him/herself from the wheelchair to the bed when it collapsed? Or a quadriplegic being transferred from the wheelchair to the bed when it collapsed? Our cat could have been under the bed when it collapsed! We called the front desk immediately and reported what had happened. Two maintenance/check-in personnel came, and it took them quite a while to assemble the bed frame which was inadvertently not assembled correctly. We were not even offered a room change. The men just laughed at us, and sarcastically said, "Enjoy the bed" then left! My wife immediately complained of spine pain which continued all throughout the night even with pain medication. We all didn't sleep the entire night due to the intermittent loud noise which sounded like a generator starting every 15 minutes all night long. The next morning, I spoke to the manager, and she filed an incident report. I was shown four rooms that we could move to, two of which were in the same poor state as ours; we eventually moved to a room on the second floor which at least had everything working and the floor and the room were void of any strong odors.
I made an emergency appointment and took my wife to the Chiropractor on 1/10/2008 to get a spine adjustment and treatment modalities on her back. The Doctor advised my wife to rest and not to stress her back at all, and to follow up with weekly treatment until regaining her pre-injury mobility and functioning status. My wife had another chiropractor visit on 1/16/2008, but she’s still experiencing constant spine, neck and chest muscle pain. Our cat still has fleas so we left the flea collar on although she’s an indoor cat. We’re hoping that the collar will help rid her of the fleas she contracted at this hotel. The manager of the hotel called on 1/15/2008, six days after the incident asking to speak to me; but each time I attempted to call her back I was always told that she’s not available to speak to me. We’re still in total disbelief of our nightmarish experience at this hotel; we had a handicapped room which was supposed to be safe for disabled people; but instead we were thrown in this unsafe and substandard area of the hotel. We checked out on 1/12/2008 and were charged several hundred dollars for three nights of what should have been a relaxing mini vacation; but instead we paid this sum to have a traumatic stay & to be injured and inconvenienced. We never got any calls from the hotel’s insurance adjustor, although I made numerous attempts to call & send emails even to the insurance & the hotel corporate offices.

Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM

What an unfortunate stay. Wondering how you found Fodors and chose this as your first post here.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM

Sorry for your difficulties, but you raise a point that I often wonder about when people talk about traveling with their pets---odors and fleas. It is a major reason why I, as a non-pet owner, would avoid any establishment that is billed as pet-friendly.

It would also be interesting to see if the place is reviewed on Trip Advisor.

I would also contact the customer service for the whole chain and tell them of your unsatisfactory experience and detail the behavior of the non-responsive manager as well as requesting some kind of refund. Be sure to contact AAA as well.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
TahitiTams

Sorry to hear about your stay and your wife, dodi..
I never tell them that I have a pet because it seems they put me in the
'pee rooms'..
Call the CEO of Homestead..go straight to the top!
I wish you all the best.

Gary A. DeLapp CEO of Homestead
(770) 303-8364/Karen Burke

Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:27 AM

I also avoid pet friendly hotels. It is a convenience for some of you, but I am allergic to cats. Hotels should have pet-free rooms as they have non-smoking rooms.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:49 AM
cd

Sounds awful dodi! Why, oh why did you stay? Surly you could have found a Visitor's Center and found someplace else to stay.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:11 AM

To the poster who never tells the hotel she has a pet, does that mean you sneak your pet in? That seems pretty callous, given the allergies that many people have.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:06 AM

Thanks, TahitiTams, for your consideration for others.

Next time I am sleepless with asthmatic wheezing while in a hotel bed, I'll ask if I have a thoughtful soul like you to thank.

You should be really proud of yourself, beating the system like that!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM

I'm sorry, dodi, but I cannot understand how you could possibly have decided to stay in this place if it was as you described when you walked in. A hotel couldn't PAY ME to stay there. Why didn't you walk out and go find another place? (And, BTW, a hotel that allows cats is going to smell like that, most of the time!)

TahitaTams, how inconsiderate of you to sneak pets in! I have a sister who is severely allergic to animal dander, and suffers horribly when she finds herself in such a room.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM

I am so sorry to hear of your horrible experience. We sometimes travel with our dogs and have not had any problems even close to your....fingers crossed for future trips. We normally stay at Confort Inns or similar places when we travel with the pups.

I would most definitely go straight to the top and get what is due to you.

Let us know how it turns out.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
TahitiTams

Listen all of you whiners that think I go to a hotel that doesn't take pets..
I only go to Hotels that allow pets but I don't tell them I brought my pet because they put me in the nastiest rooms..
Being who I am, I never have that problem and always get upgraded to a suite!
So quit your whining..geez

Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:41 AM

This sounds terrible, but I can't get beyond wondering about one MAJOR issue.

When you arrived in the room, you immediately noticed the horrible smell of "strong animal urine", you must have noticed the missing furniture, the stains on the sofa, and the filthy room including the foul smelling carpet, and a number of other issues with bare wires, etc.

Can you please explain why on earth you wouldn't have picked up the phone and requested to be moved, or gone right back to the desk and asked for another room. You mention that the microwave wasn't heating up food properly. Huh? Anyone who goes into a room and starts using it if it is only HALF as bad as you say it was, DESERVES what he gets. How on earth could anyone actually accept and go so far as to sit on the bed in a room in that condition?
If the room even smelled half as bad as you say, there is no way I would have stayed in there long enough to find out if the microwave worked or long enough for my cat to get fleas. I'd have been out the door before it closed behind me the first time!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM

Tahiti, I think you missed the point. Hotels that take pets DO know which rooms have had pets or not and can ration them out accordingly to guests who are allergic or unable to stay in a room where a pet has been. But if you sneak in a pet, they have no way of knowing. When someone gets that room after telling the management that they are allergic to pets, they'll have you to thank when they get an allergic reaction.

Frankly this is probably even worse than smoking in a non-smoking room and pretending you didn't.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
TahitiTams

Neo,
I didn't miss any point..
I have already made arrangements with the GM as to my room..it's up to them as to what to do with the room after I have left with my pet.
I don't want to get into specifics but they know I am coming and all arrangements have been dealt with and handled either by me or by my staff.

Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:25 AM

Wow, TahitiTams MUST be important --- and arrogate to boot !! When do we start bowing to the Deity?
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM

TahitiTams, what's different or special about you? The hotels know that I'm coming, too, "arrangements have been made" ... I'm just polite enough not to sneak a pet into a room not meant for one!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
TahitiTams

Everyone, Please get off my ass!
I am extremely polite and don't go sneaking my pet into ANY room/hotel with the consent of the GM..

Enough said..

Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
OO

"I am extremely polite" ROFLMAO
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM

Fowl indeed.