Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Amy's TRIP REPORT!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/amys-trip-report-686103/)

AmySabato Mar 8th, 2007 10:15 AM

Amy's TRIP REPORT!!

First of all, I would like to thank all my fellow Fodorites for their tremendous help and patience. You bravely endured all my questions, fears, concerns and curiosities. All the information I received from you, I followed and/or researched. It was a tremendous education. In the process, I learned a lot about myself.

My two-day trip has come to an end and NOTHING that I fretted about came true.

1) No swollen ankles.
2) Rx meds were NEVER checked or questioned.
3) I wore my rockports the whole time and felt great.
4) My back NEVER hurt
5) I stretched as much as I could and learned what seats (perhaps) to pick in the future.
6) The gates were all, literally, inches away from where I was to catch my connections.
7) My digital camera remained IN the carry-on and was never questioned.
8) Everything went incredibly smoothly.

I learned to not fear the unknown and to not fret over what might never happen. If it were to have happened, I was equipped with the education I received here from my fellow Fodorites. I cannot thank you all enough. Toe, Suze, LoveItaly, Neo, I could go on. My sincerest thanks for opening my eyes to many things, travel AND non-travel related. My sincerest gratitude always. Thank you.

sistahlou Mar 8th, 2007 10:21 AM

Well done!!!

Time to start planning your next trip!

toedtoes Mar 8th, 2007 10:30 AM

Great to hear it went smooth and peaceful! Now that you've made it past this, you are considered an old pro and will be providing much more wisdom to the next generation of "OMG, I don't have a clue what I'm doing" travelers. :-d

KathyK Mar 8th, 2007 10:43 AM

Where did you go????????? Or did I miss something?

FainaAgain Mar 8th, 2007 11:23 AM

So... where is the trip report in addition to your health report :)

I'm glad you had a ball, do come back to tell us about it!

LoveItaly Mar 8th, 2007 06:16 PM

Oh Amy, I was thinking of you just yesterday and hoped all went well. Congratulations! It is good to hear you didn't have any problems, healthwise or with going through security. I agree, lol, you will now have the job of reassuring the next batch of Fodorite's who need help and advice. Thanks for checking in..it is fun to hear how well your trip went Amy.

tzarinna Mar 13th, 2007 06:05 PM

Okay,I'm all about wanting to know where you went as well. :)

AmySabato Mar 20th, 2007 02:30 PM

HI everyone! Sorry for posting just the health and security report. LOL

Travel was for purposes of visiting a family member who is in an assisted living home. Everything was very structured and we did not have time, at all, to see Reno (where we landed and stayed), nor other parts of Calif. What little I DID see of Reno, I did not like. I have never liked desert areas.

All we saw of Northern California was the sites during our drive from Reno there.
I was VERY impressed by the snow on the roofs and on the mountains. I had not seen that in years.

Family’s home is at 6,000 ft.; the view was breathtaking. We visited our family member, were driven back to Reno and repeated the whole thing again the next day. On the third day, we left at 6 am for the airport. So, as you can see, not much to report. I was unable to take more than 3 or 4 photos and I promise you, next time we deal with these particular family members, we are renting a car. It is FAR too restrictive for me to have to go where and when they want. Of course, this was more a family visit than a "vacation" but there are 24 hours to the day and I had a LOT of energy. LOL

The only thing I noticed - health-wise - was pressure in my upper chest, a little difficulty catching my breath, then again, I was anxious much of the time due to all the stuff we did in such a short amount of time, and of course, the altitude. Several years ago I was in Colorado and the altitude did not affect me, so…go figure.

We plan on going back, hopefully for the holidays. It was so fast I am already forgetting what little we DID do.

Again, my thanks to you all. You just cannot imagine what a positive influence you ALL had on me. I am just SO grateful to you! Hugs and love and happy travels!!!!

(Btw, I plan on traveling again to the Southeast) - I also hope I can get on here and help as well and as much as you all helped me. :-)

toedtoes Mar 20th, 2007 08:51 PM

Amy - it sounds like you were still up high enough, but the Sacramento valley does get air quality problems that can reach up to Auburn and Placerville at times - there are times I can't breathe at all. I never had asthma (or bronchitis) until I moved out here, but now I get it usually at least once a year, sometimes more.

AmySabato Mar 21st, 2007 01:26 PM

Toe, oddly enough. One of my family members who lives at 6,000 ft says she suffers from asthma and since she moved there, she hasn't had any problems. Maybe each body reacts differently? I can't remember the name of the place they live in, but it sounds like Chliotola or something like that. Best to you! :-) Thank you again.

AmySabato Jul 10th, 2008 12:41 PM

I'll be traveling once again and look forward to helping others out with past travel experience.

This time it will be LV for 2 nights and possibly a southeastern drive from Atlanta to Gatlinburg.

Am looking for a nice backroad I can take from Gatlinburg to Atlanta. Forgot what the road was that I took last year. What an AWESOME trip..long way, but it was stunningly quiet and beautiful.

Thanks!