Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Amtrak to Youngstown? Car rental or other transport there?

Amtrak to Youngstown? Car rental or other transport there?

Oct 9th, 2001, 04:41 AM
louise

Amtrak to Youngstown? Car rental or other transport there?

Has anyone ever taken the train to Youngstown? I'd like to go visit a relative near there. However, the train gets in at 1 a.m., and I don't know the city well enough to know where the station is (530 Mahoning Ave.). Is that part of the city safe?

I'd like to rent a car from there, but how can I arrange that at 1 a.m.? Or could I hire a taxi instead? (It would be about a half-hour drive from there to my relative's house.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Oct 10th, 2001, 06:05 PM
DS

Louise:

I'm not from there, but I have been there a few times, and recently was up there during a late weekend afternoon. I'm almost positive that the train station is in downtown Youngstown. Even late in the afternoon on a weekend, the downtown was pretty much deserted, so I would imagine that 1a. wouldn't be any better. As far as safety, I don't think that the downtown is renowned for its safety, but since I didn't see anyone around, I don't see how you can have much crime! I suspect that as long as you stay in the train station, you should be OK.

Offhand, my guess would be that you'll have an extremely difficult time even trying to get a cab, let alone a rental car at that hour. Try contacting the Convention and Visitors Bureau (http://www.youngstowncvb.com) . They might be of some assistance in your effort to get transportation. But if your relative can pick you up, I'd really recommend that.

Good luck!

Search this Thread