Reload this Page >

Amtrak- coach or business in Northeast Corridor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Jenny

I am taking the regular slow(not Acela or Metroliner) train from Boston to DC in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the difference in business and coach class (other than the price). Do I get any extra services, are the seats that much better? Thanks for any experiences anyone can offer.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:44 PM
tj

same bad food for a lot more money.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Chooch

Do you mean "custom class"? All it means is that you are in a car behind the (next to last) cafe car, so people don't come barging through your car on the way to get food. And you get free non-alcoholic beverages. And you get a guaranteed seat, although no assignment. And sometimes you get a movie.

If there is, in addition to "custom class," a business class, I'd ask Amtrak (an actual person) whether you get club-car seating or some such. But I think it's just this one dedicated car.

Used to be a good deal because it was only 20-30 bucks more and you had peace and quiet and a sure seat. Now everyone has discovered it and the movie, so the "custom class" car is often MORE crowded than regular coaches.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:29 AM
Chris

Sometimes the difference between "business" and "coach" on the Northeast corridor means whether you have a guaranteed reserved or unreserved seat (it's unreserved in coach, often). Paying the difference for a reserved seat depends on the day and time you travel. We've left NYC on late afternoons going south to DC and there were people already standing with coach/unreserved tickets...you could easily confirm with Amtrak whether the seat/class is reserved or unreserved.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 07:11 AM
r-travels

I've taken the overnight one (#67?) between Boston & Williamsburg, and NYC & Williamsburg, but not in two years.

On the overnight train, there was no movie, but I thought it worthwhile to pay the extra because it was a lot quieter, so I could sleep, and because of the extra price, it was a lot less crowded, which meant I didn't have to share a seat, so I could stretch out. I think there was a bit more leg-room than standard coach, but otherwise, same seats. Wasn't any crowds at the snack-bar either. No x in my e-ddress.