Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   AMEX car insurance (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/amex-car-insurance-499715/)

Debfab Jan 30th, 2005 11:28 AM

AMEX car insurance

First let me say I do not work for or represent AMEX in any way, I just want to share a good experience wilth all of you. Several months ago I enrolled in Premium Car Rental through AMEX.Using this service allows you to forgo the expensive insurance rates offered by the car rental agencies. I was hesitant at first, but gave it a try. Well, don't you know--I got a flat tire the 3rd day out! The car co was grat: they offered me another car and made the switch the following day(AAA change the flat). When we returned the car, my husband was told it was unrepairable and they were charging us for a new tire. Knowing we had this protection, he declined using what they call"quick settle" and left the lot. When we arrived at home, mu husband called AMEX customer service line and they took all the info and told him they would follow-up from there--it was that simple!. I am now recommending this to all my friends who rent cars because it is a flat fee per rental and it works!

Jed Jan 31st, 2005 06:53 AM

At present, if I use my AMEX gold card, there is a "Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance" part of the benefits which comes with the card. I believe that it covers the part not covered by my primary insurance co.

The "Premium Car Rental" is an extra cost which acts as your primary insurance co, and you would not go through your regular co. I'm not sure why it is worth it to pay extra for this. What am I missing?

mikemo Jan 31st, 2005 07:20 AM

I would like to know which auto rental company tried to stick you for the cost of a new tire? Surely AMEX didn't pay for that.
M

bettyk Jan 31st, 2005 12:06 PM

Jed, if your own insurance is primary, then any accident you have would probably cause your rates to go up.

Jed Jan 31st, 2005 04:07 PM

This is more complicated than I first thought, and I am still not sure of all the details.

I have a Gold AMEX card (there are several types of Gold), which has an automatic Car Rental Loss and Damage insurance provision. You decline the CDW, and your AMEX card account will cover the damage. The Premium Car Rental may be superfluous.

However, this applies only to rentals in the US. The PCR covers you in most other countries, since your US ins co doesn't cover you there. Since your US ins co is not involved, they may never know what happened. At least, that's what I understand.

This does not take into consideration any liability coverage, which is separate, and varies between countries.

So the motto is, get the complete info from AMEX, VISA, or other card co before you rent.

Debfab - Do you have an AMEX card without the Car Rental Loss and Damage provision? ((R))

tk007 Nov 20th, 2008 03:57 PM

The last 2 times I used the AMEX premium rental car insurance I was double charged so make sure you look for a second charge.

once in May and once in November they charged me twice. It was actually consecutive charges.

DebitNM Nov 20th, 2008 04:36 PM

wow this thread is almost 4 years old! How did you ever find it??

Deb