Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Amesbury, MA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/amesbury-ma-924333/)

orangetravelcat Feb 17th, 2012 09:30 AM

Amesbury, MA?

Looks like it's close to Newburyport and hotel rates are cheaper in Amesbury. Worth it to stay there rather than Newburyport?

Mikenmass Feb 17th, 2012 09:45 AM

As per usual, Cheaper is not quite as nice. A little further to the water and most of the attractions. Only 5-10 minutes by car though and still very nice!

Worth it all depends. :)

Ozarksbill Feb 17th, 2012 10:07 AM

What specific arrangements in mind? True, Amesbury (where our daughter did live) isn't as attractive as Newburyport yet not far away. We were quite satisfied with Fairfield Inn in Amesbury with a Friendys across the street. Also this is right off I-495, I-95 exit.
Bill in Boston

MareW Feb 17th, 2012 10:30 AM

I (briefly) lived in Amesbury years ago. If saving money is a priority, it's fine. The drive isn't far.

Ackislander Feb 17th, 2012 02:00 PM

And it was the home of Thomas Bailey Aldrich, author of "The Story of a Bad Boy," an extremely funny children's classic that I didn't read until I was in my forties -- when I could appreciate it!

orangetravelcat Feb 17th, 2012 03:16 PM

Thanks for your replies. I was looking at the Fairfield Inn in Amesbury as an option. Can't decide between trying to save some money, or staying in a picturesque location where we can just walk out the door and to a restaurant.

Ackislander Feb 18th, 2012 01:44 AM

If you have any interestt at all in a real New England town as opposed to one that has been redeveloped as a tourist attraction, albeit a very attractive one, stay in Amesbury. Find aa local place to eat breakfast, even if you get a freebie at the Fairfield, and a non-chain bar or even a pizza place for dinner.

Walter Beinecke redeveloped Nantucket, turning it from a place where, to quote him, "tourists got off the boat with a T shirt and a $5 bill and didn't change either while they were here" to what it is today. He then sold his interest in Nantucket and bought up a considerable hunk of Newburyport to do the same.

Don't get me wrong, I live in Nantucket and like Newburyport a lot because they are beautiful and pleasant places to be, but their raison d'etre is to upsell you from a hot dog or clam roll to a steak or lobster dinner.

gail Feb 18th, 2012 01:50 AM

The drive between the 2 is easy - you won't get lost and there won't be a traffic issue. If the cost is a relevant amount, then Amesbury is fine.

joesorce Feb 18th, 2012 01:58 PM

And whatever you do, don't get your ice cream at Friendly's.

www.hodgies.com
www.maggiesundae.com

orangetravelcat Mar 5th, 2012 02:10 PM

I'm thinking we may stay at the Fairfield in Amesbury; we can save approx 60-70 per nite on lodging, which can be put toward lobster! Also "found" a wooden boat shop called Lowells in Amesbury that I know my husband would enjoy seeing.

Googled some images of Amesbury and it looks quite nice.

bennnie Mar 12th, 2012 06:21 AM

Lowells is a local treasure and worth a visit. Also worth a visit in Amesbury is Flatbread Pizza - all organic pizza baked a woodfire oven that was made (in part) by local school kids. First one in a growing chain. From the Fairfield Inn, follow Elm St. into the center of town.

For lobster you can head to Seabrook and visit either Browns (if you are a Republican) or Markeys (if you are a Democrat). Or there's Bob Lobster on the Plum Island turnpike.

Across the river from Amesbury in Newburyport is Maudlesy State Park - great place for a walk. The Chain bridge between Amesbury and Newburyport is closed for repairs right now but you can use the Whittier Bridge/95 to get to Newburyport.

If you do go to Hodgies (opening March 31!) for ice cream, stick to the 1/4 kiddie or 1/2 kiddie size. A large is enough for 3 people.

In Newburyport, try the Park Lunch ( a true locals place) for fried clams. And Mission Grill is good for steaks. Black Cow has a decent menu too and is on the river.

Having lived in the area for years, I can tell you the Newburyport area is wonderful place with lots of little interesting things to do.