American Girl Store & Show - NYC?

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Girl Store & Show - NYC?

Has anyone visited the new American Girl store on 5th Ave and seen their theater show? Will be taking my daughters (6&8 years) to see the 5:30 show this Saturday 1/17. Would love to hear a review. Planning to eat at Ruby Foo's afterwards, can't get into the AG cafe.

Thanks!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:24 AM

I visited the store but did not see the show. It is packed, packed, packed. I hear the cafe is booking into March at the moment. You can't get out of that store without spending money though. If there is something specific that your daughters want & it is a hot item, I would call the store and have the personal shopper hold it for you. The store is beautiful though.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:01 AM
mp

Bugswife is right (as usual) - that place is always packed - and probably will be this Saturday, even with the frigid cold . . . and it's a school holiday on Monday 1/19! Leave plenty of time before the show for your girls to look around - at least an hour. I would make an agreement with them beforehand on how much they can spend, too - otherwise you're sunk. They can bring their AG dolls in for a salon appointment - and you can check out the AG website. Frankly, I don't see the appeal, but almost alll the 10 year old girls I know think that place is heaven on earth. and the 10 year old boys think it's . . . well, not.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, the girls have been well advised of their spending limits, however we'll probably end up splurging a bit. If I wasn't expecting to spend money there, I wouldn't be going! The AG series is also about their books, which are great for young girls to read.

Would still love to hear from anyone who may have seen the show! Thanks!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:05 AM

I give that store 3 years before it closes down.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:42 AM

please let us know your feelings. my 11 year and her best friend want to go so much. we are most likely going in april for a weekend.

melissa
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gee, squeaky, care to elaborate on your pessimism or are you just pissy cause someone took your Felicity doll?
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:54 AM

If the NY Store is half as busy as the Chicago flagship store, bring your checkbook and patience! The store in Chicago is fabulous and I am guessing NY is as nice or nicer! Enjoy it and report back! It is neat to watch kids get starry eyed looking at all of the dolls and their stuff!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:43 AM

so how was the show?
i am waiting to get your opinion before I make reservations.
where did you stay?

Melissa
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:19 AM

Squeaky, the store in Chicago is still packed and it has been open at least 3 years.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi Melissa and anyone else:
We returned from a chilly weekend in NYC. My daughters enjoyed the AG store, and really loved the American Girl revue show. The actresses are primarily aged 10-14, the theater is very small so there are no bad seats, and the production runs about 1 hour 15 mins, so it's not too long. There were no males in attendance, FYI! No dads, uncles or brothers.

The store itself is a little confusing in its layout. It's nice to be able to try on the life size girls clothing, although the quality of their garments is poor relative to price, but that wasn't a surprise to us! We spent just under $200 on stuff for both daughters' dolls. Go there with a budget in mind. My girls were very well behaved about adding up their purchases and not exceeding their limits.

The AG cafe is adorable, and on a cold late afternoon in January, you could get seated even though when I called in advance, they were fully booked. We choose not to eat there but they let us peek inside.

All in all, the store was crowded but not insanely so! Just about every child carried their doll around with them. The doll hair salon had a long line, and is a cute idea.

We did not stay in a hotel this visit, as friends leave us their apt when they go out of town, but I always stay at the Michelangelo when I do need a mid-town hotel.

Ruby Foo's, at the corner of 49th and Bway was a great dinner choice for our family. My younger daughter loved the peanut butter and jelly sushi! They have a kids menu, and great adult menu, great cocktails (which you will need after several hours in AG store) and the restaurant is so "happening" that my kids felt like they had been taken someplace very grown-up and special.

Last but not least, we caught the Sunday 7pm performance of Little Shop of Horrors, got front row seats at the box office on Sunday afternoon (I could not stand in that TKTS line while a steady snow waas coming down) The front row seats were fun because the giant plant comes down into the front row and "eats" the audience. The tix were less than face value, and it's a great family show, with music from the team that did Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and other disney hits.
We waited at the stage door for autographs afterwards, and the stars told my daughters they had seen them in the front row,and my girls were absolutely thrilled!!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Thanks
i am going to make my plans
melissa