Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   American Airlines cheaper than Southwest?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/american-airlines-cheaper-than-southwest-236198/)

Ted Jul 2nd, 2002 10:55 AM

American Airlines cheaper than Southwest??

The past two trips I've planned and researched actually had cheaper flights on American Airlines than Southwest....what gives?? Today I searched flights from LAX to Reno and American Airlines' non-stops were $35 less per person!! I use to fly Southwest because of the price but now I've booked 2 trips on American...why hassle with no pre-arranged seat, cattle car boarding process!! What gives....did Southwest decide to raise their prices or is American just having a "sale"??

Dan Jul 2nd, 2002 10:56 AM

No one has ever claimed Southwest is cheaper on every flight, Ted. They are ALWAYS cheaper on walk-up, or full, fares. I've found that on 14 day advance fares most airlines usually match Southwest and have the same or lower fares.<BR><BR>SW has improved their boarding process now. You can get passes at skycaps, ticket counters and the departure gate. Still no assigned seats, though, which is no big deal IMHO.

piggiesflytoo Jul 2nd, 2002 11:14 AM

Maybe that's because all the fatties are booking on American now. Supply and demand. Oink.

Airlines Jul 2nd, 2002 11:17 AM

No one airline is least expensive all the time. Period. No way to get around it. Because fares change so often, it is impossible to depend on just one airline

had to say it Jul 2nd, 2002 11:35 AM

They need to pay for their body fat % screening devices.

Ann Jul 2nd, 2002 12:39 PM

I primarily fly out of an airport where the two major carriers are American and Southwest. Over the past 4 years, approximately 90% of the advance fares i've purchased have been on American because the fare is usually lower, sometimes the same, than Southwest. I can think of only a couple times where Southwest beat American, but only by about $20 total. I prefer using American because the frequent flier program will let you fly more places and miles add up quickly (unlike Southwest). When all is said and done, with all the free tickets that i've earned, paying $20 more here and there for the American flight just to get the miles has more than paid off. <BR>

FrugalFred Jul 2nd, 2002 12:57 PM

Hey, "piggiesflytoo ([email protected])" - <BR><BR>you must have flunked your economics class. If "all the fatties are booking on American now", instead of SW, then SW would have higher supply, less demand, and their prices would drop. Yup, SW might be more expensive, on some routes, for ONE trip, but how long before those flying AA can cash in on frequent flyer miles?? Well, only 3 more round trips for the SW traveler.<BR><BR>

Candee Jul 2nd, 2002 05:12 PM

I live in an area where Southwest is quite popular (but also serviced by American, Continental and Delta). I too have found that American has had good fares lately. I just recently booked my flight with them. I'm trying to fly them exclusevely because they have such an awesome FF flyer program. SW may be better for a spur of the moment trip but if you can plan ahead, you're likely better off with AA. I'm working on enough miles to get to Paris next spring. One more coast to coast RT and I'm there..YEA

Candee Jul 2nd, 2002 05:12 PM

I live in an area where Southwest is quite popular (but also serviced by American, Continental and Delta). I too have found that American has had good fares lately. I just recently booked my flight with them. I'm trying to fly them exclusevly because they have such an awesome FF flyer program. SW may be better for a spur of the moment trip but if you can plan ahead, you're likely better off with AA. I'm working on enough miles to get to Paris next spring. One more coast to coast RT and I'm there..YEA

TvlPro Jul 2nd, 2002 06:22 PM

I am in DFW so AA is always the way to go, even out of Love Field.<BR>It's true that SW is cheaper if you book at the counter but if you have a few minutes prior to departure you should check AA.com or Orbitz for the best deals on last minute stuff. <BR>You can further reduce your AA fare by connecting through Saint Louis. Try it... it's worth it unless it's just really out of the way.<BR>I shaved 1/2 the cost off a trip to Chicago by connecting in STL.<BR><BR>