Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Amelia Island Plantation vs South Seas Plantation

Amelia Island Plantation vs South Seas Plantation

Sep 23rd, 2000, 10:23 AM
Rich

Amelia Island Plantation vs South Seas Plantation

Interested in an Easter (mid-late April) vacation with kids (2 and 5 years) to Florida. Heard good things about both resorts, though some postings regarding South Seas say some folks found it a bit run-down? Is this true? Can someone tell me about their recent experiences. ?good for kids this age, ?weather for swimming at that time of year (especially Amelia Island)
Things for Mom and Dad? Best accomodations and locations for families at these resorts?
Our kids like the pool, arcades, etc. Thanks.

Sep 23rd, 2000, 11:07 AM
CMcDaniel

In April the water will still be pretty cool around Amelia. That's the earliest we get in here, Tampa, which is a fair distance south and in the warmer Gulf. The Gulf is far calmer as well, so better for children the ages of yours. The one time we were in Amelia the water was rough enough that I actually thought twice about going in...and I used to be a lifeguard and swimming instructor!

Can't speak to South Seas being run down. If that were the case though, there are plenty of other places on either Captiva or Sanibel which would fit the bill. We've stayed at Casa Ybel on Sanibel--had a one bedroom (two queen beds) unit with LR (with couch that opened out), full kitchen, screened porches overlooking the Gulf. On Amelia we Stayed at the Ritz Carlton--beautiful hotel!

Search this Thread