Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Am I only one who thinks that $30.00 per eperson admission fee to Allerton Botanical Garden on Kauai is too high?

Am I only one who thinks that $30.00 per eperson admission fee to Allerton Botanical Garden on Kauai is too high?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Mark

Is this place so amazing that we won't mind paying $120.00 for our family of four?

I never heard of such a high admission but tell me if it is worthy.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:19 PM
x

You must be.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Sarah

I think even the guide books say that is high. I think that the costs of protecting those gardens in that fragile eco system is what taxing admission fees. I also think that they don't want an onslaught of tourist.

Be sure to do the free tour at the light house on the North Shore. They will explain how every time a crop is introduced to Kauai it can alter the soil, kill some plants etc. I would think if Alerton has a number of fragile Native or threatened plants they would want to limit traffic, or it might be costly to maintain.

I know the Waimea Falls plant reserve on Oahu has changed hands a number of times it so costly to maintain.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:03 PM
LordBalfor

My wife and I toured it and liked it very much, but I would think your children (not sure of their ages), might not find it that enjoyable (especially considering what it is going to cost you). It is, afterall, a very low-key attraction.

Ken

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Mark

Do they still have the Bungee jump there?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Rosemary

I agree with LordBalfor. If your family of four includes children I would give it a miss. We two adults, interested in plants, loved it and thought the price was OK.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Pam

If you are wanting to go to a botanical garden then check out the one on the north shore. I think we paid $10/person with a docent. Your kids might be interested as that is where
"Jurassic Park" was filmed.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Mark

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Our family of four, when in Kauai, will include two of us and my wife's parents. No kids! We are leaving them home with other grandparents.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Rosemary

Mark, in that case I would have to recommend it to you if you are willing to pay.

Seems Jurassic Park was filmed all over the island! The scene where they find the dinosaur egg in the giant tree roots was filmed at Allerton Garden.

One or two people on our tour group were disappointed there weren't more tropical flowers and more colour. It's a very "green" garden. But if you are even moderately interested in plants, it's well worth while. The docent makes it all fascinating.