Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Alternatives to Ocean City MD ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/alternatives-to-ocean-city-md-674941/)

lanord Jan 29th, 2007 05:17 PM

Alternatives to Ocean City MD ?

My husband and I will be going to Pony Penning in Chincoteague, VA for the first (and probably only) time this July. We want to combine the time there with 2-3 additional days at or near the beach afterwards. What are some good alternatives to Ocean City? We're not really interested in staying longer in Chincoteauge. I am already seeing full bookings for hotels in OC. We also like quaint small towns, antiques, and such. We are from northeast PA so were hoping to find something sort of "on the way home". Any suggestions? Thanks!

Devonmcj Jan 30th, 2007 03:40 AM

Either Berlin or Snow Hill, Maryland might be good for you. Both are close enough to easily reach the beach (Assateague or OC).

AlJ Jan 30th, 2007 04:02 AM

Hi
I'm curious about what's wrong with the beach at Assateague Island. That's where you go from Chincoteague.

You should consider seeing the pony swim from a boat if you can. We've only been twice but we went out in kayaks.

There's pictures from our two trips for the pony swim on our web site if you're interested.
www.AlandSueJohnson.com Click on Assateague Island, VA on the first page menu.

Several pictures of Chincoteague, ponies, beaches there as well.

marginal_margiela Jan 30th, 2007 06:09 AM

St. Michael's, Maryland. Trust me, you will love it.

Pocono Princess

GeorgeW Jan 30th, 2007 06:18 AM

St. Michael's would do. It is the most touristy town on the true Eastern Shore yet not obnoxiously so. It is within striking distance of Easton, Oxford, Tilghman Island, Kent Narrows, Chestertown and Secretary.

Rumrita1 Jan 30th, 2007 07:14 AM

For small town feel, if you want to be at the beach, check out Lewes, Delaware.

lanord Jan 30th, 2007 02:23 PM

Thank you for your beach suggestions! AIJ, we have made a group charter reservation to view the swim on Wednesday. I saw this suggestion some time ago as a good way to see the swim up close, as opposed to viewing from shore. We are staying 2 nights in Princess Anne (couldn't get a room in Chincoteague), so will probably go to Assateague anyway. Nothing against Assateague beach, we just wanted to also hit some other places during the same trip. I also looked at your website, your pictures are wonderful -- thanks for the link!

justburg Feb 1st, 2007 10:39 AM

I second Lewes, DE. Historic homes, great restaurant "The Buttery" close to beach and the ferry to Cape May. Very small, but great main road with shops!

avoirgold Feb 2nd, 2007 01:26 PM

If you are looking to chill at the beach, Rehoboth Beach in DE is a good choice. It is up the coast from OC. It is less touristy and crowded. Lots more houses for rent. You could take the coastal highway north through Fenwick Island and Bethany Beach. I have been to Rehoboth, but not the others. Maybe someone else could weigh in on them.

jazphoto Feb 6th, 2007 04:00 AM

I would also say Lewes or even Rehoboth, Delaware. They are only about a 35 minute drive from Ocean City.

rizzo0904 Feb 6th, 2007 05:27 AM

I also recommend Rehoboth Beach, DE.

St. Michael's, MD is also nice with cute shops and nice restaurants.