Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Alone if Philadelphia next weekend..what to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/alone-if-philadelphia-next-weekend-what-to-do-622973/)

maria_so Jun 12th, 2006 04:44 PM

Alone if Philadelphia next weekend..what to do?

Hi everyone. My Philadelphia trip is coming up. I leave next Saturday morning (arriving at 1:30) and will be there for a conference. I'll be by myself Sat and Sun and was wondering if you kind folks can help suggest a plan for me to see and do things in the city. When I first get in, I will probably head to the airport bar to watch what's left of the US vs Italy world cup game but after that, I have no plans. I want to see the historical stuff the following weekend when my SO comes at the latter part of the week. I was thinking more museums and possibly an opera on saturday night or a play or something like that? I will be staying near the convention center (Doubletree).

Any suggestions would be great! Many thanks in advance!

dondo Jun 12th, 2006 05:44 PM

Try http://www.phillyfunguide.com/ and http://www.gophilla.com/ to see what is happenning on the weekend.

Scarlett Jun 12th, 2006 06:02 PM

I love the museums in Philadelphia and what is great is that they are all together so you can go from one to the next. Go to Rittenhouse Square and walk, have tea or lunch in one of the charming places in that area..If you are saving the sights for sharing with your SO..then just walking the city is great.
We spent 3 days there the spring before we moved out of the NE...I really like Philadelphia and miss it :)
Have a great time!

Suki Jun 12th, 2006 06:38 PM

Maria, there is a really interesting dance festival this weekend (and several more actually) at the Wilma Theater called DanceBoom. I think the Doubletree is on South Broad Street as is the Wilma so it would be very convenient.
Do visit the Art Museum on Sunday and see if you can get reservations ahead of time for the Wyeth exhibit. It's really worthwhile.
You can walk straight up Walnut St from your hotel and hang out for a bit in Rittenhouse Square. On 20th Street, off the square you will find Capogiro Gelato and DiBruno Bros Cheese shop. Be sure to visit both.

TKT Jun 12th, 2006 06:55 PM

Some places I go when alone in Philly

http://www.comedysportzphilly.com for improv comedy

www.zanzibarblue.com for jazz and R&B.

ritzfilmbill.com for movies

Lots of good outdoor dining on Market Street between 2nd and 4th.

In the Marriott, close to you, is Champions Bar for sports on TV.

kmbp Jun 12th, 2006 08:38 PM

You could take in an excellent production of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum at the Arden Theatre. It's on North 2nd Street, about a block from Market Street. Terrific performances, great fun.

http://www.ardentheatre.org/

Jed Jun 13th, 2006 06:06 AM

"Funny thing..." at the Arden is the best play we have seen this season. ((*))

Barbara Jun 13th, 2006 07:57 AM

maria, I stayed at the Doubletree a few weeks ago and it was very nice. Clean and very comfortable, with pleasant helpful staff. The concierge was very helpful. The only thing I was unhappy about was really my own fault. I left a twin set hanging in the closet and they didn't find it.

KeyGal Jun 13th, 2006 09:10 AM

Definitely plan on stopping by the Reading Terminal Market for lunch Saturday. It's right across the street from the convention center. It's a great place to browse, eat (and eat and eat and eat) and buy little gifts to bring back home. The Amish farmers are all there till 5 on Saturdays with incredible produce, and it's a bustling, fun place with every kind of food you can imagine. Unfortunately it's closed Sundays, but if you can get there before it closes at 6, don't miss it. Here's their link:
http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

Walter Jun 13th, 2006 09:15 AM

You can always run up the Art Museum steps, just like in the movie Rocky. :)

maria_so Jun 13th, 2006 09:48 AM

What was I thinking with Opera! Oy. The plays sound good. I've seen "A Funny thing..." here in Houston earlier back and it IS funny. I may do that again. I may also just go to the dance festival Suki sugested. I'm thinking shopping after I get checked in. Where's good shopping around that area (convention/doubletree on broad street)? Then go by the tickets booth and see if what I can get half off (there is a tickets booth for same day shows in Philadelphia like you would find in NY)?

For Sunday, I'm thinking of going to the museum (since it's free) and get advance tickets for the Wyeth show (if my SO doesn't want to see that too). The tickets are $20 - is it worth it? I don't remember Van Gogh in DC to be that expensive....but I do love art.

Can anyone suggest good places to eat (al fresco) in that area where I'll be? Not to miss places - hole in the walls, not expensive, expensive. Where can I get an original Philly cheese steak sandwhich?

Collegues are arriving Sunday night so I'm sure I'll have to go to dinner with them but I'm sure I'll end up choosing the place to eat for that too so can anyone recommend a good place?

Thanks for you that responded already. I do have a Philadelphia book but I usually end up doing what fodorites advice so I thought I'd ask.

Maria

maria_so Jun 13th, 2006 09:50 AM

Looks like i responded the same time as KeyGal. That's a GREAT suggestion! That is definitely what I'll do when I get checked in.

Walter, haha, I may wait till when my SO arrrives but that will make a funny picture and I'll be sure to credit you when people ask.

kmbp Jun 13th, 2006 10:48 AM

On the phillyfunguide.com home page, at the upper right, you'll find a link for funsavers. Once you sign up to be on their mailing list, you'll receive, every Thursday, offers for discounted tickets on events for the next seven days--theater, dance, concerts, exhibits.

Suki Jun 13th, 2006 11:27 AM

Maria,
The Convention Center and the Doubletree are a fair distance from each other. The Convention Center is over on Arch St at 13th Street so I am guessing it is a good 7-block walk. I just wanted you to be aware that they are in 2 separate neighborhoods of Philadelphia. The Convention Center, as you know, is across from Reading Terminal, but it also borders Chinatown so you can have some good Chinese for lunch one day during your conference. For shopping, from your hotel, walk up Walnut Street since that has some nice stores and The Shops at Liberty Place are on Market Street between 16th and 17th Street. I'm not sure what is in there any more but you can probably check it out online.
As for restaurants, Philadelphia has some great places. Very near to your hotel (again on Walnut St.) is Susannah Foo's, Le Bec Fin (both are very expensive), and also the Brasserie run by Le Bec Fin's chef which is more casual. I think Alma de Cuba is in the area as well. A Spanish tapas restuarant called Amada at 2nd & Chestnut is getting great reviews, and sounds like a good place for a group dinner.
We always go for the BYOB places in Philly - there are many really fine ones and you can hit a State Store for wine before you go. One such place, Matyson, on 19th St between Market and Chestnut, is doing a special tasting menu for the World Cup Mon - Thursday evenings that they are calling "1 World, 1 Sport, 1 Month, 32 Nations" Have fun!

maria_so Jun 13th, 2006 01:12 PM

Great suggestions Suki and I signed up for the discounts kmbp. I'm so bummed I'm missing the last opera by a day!!! ...and it's La Boheme too. Snif, snif.

Ok, I think I have an itinerary now for Sat and Sunday. Many thanks to you all.

Last question, how easy is it to move about the city through SEPTA in Philadelphia? Is it as easy as NY or the blocks walkable like Boston? I don't mind walking. Love to walk but how safe is it for me walking by myself?

TKT Jun 13th, 2006 02:36 PM

The blocks are very small, it is walkable like Boston, If you like to take your time and walk, you will rarely need SEPTA. For the most part it is safe. For the area around the convention center at night it might be better not to walk to-5th to 12th around Arch St. If you are out at night by yourself, play it safe and take a taxi back to your hotel.

maria_so Jun 13th, 2006 03:12 PM

Thanks TKT. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Zoom Jun 13th, 2006 04:05 PM

Hello Maria:

If Broadway is your thing, and you haven't seen The Lion King, I believe it has recently opened in Philly.

It's the same cast we just had in Hartford, CT which was excellent.

Zoom

maria_so Jun 13th, 2006 07:39 PM

Thanks Zoom. Actually, I was going to see what tickets I can get same day. Is there a half price ticket place like the TCKT Booth in NY? Somehow, I thought I heard there's on in Philadelphia? Can anyone confirm this?

In any case, I haven't seen the Lion King yet so that was a choice.

Many thanks in advance. And if anyone has other ideas of fun things to do on ones own, please let me know.

kmbp Jun 13th, 2006 08:20 PM

I think your best bet for discounted tickets is with the phillyfunguide funsavers email on Thursday.

Let me second Suki's suggestion of Matyson, one of our favorite BYOBs.

http://www.matyson.com/