Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Aloha Airlines - What are the planes like for inter-island flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Elena

I've gotten the impression that for inter-island flights, that Hawaiian airlines runs large jets, but that Aloha Airlines runs small prop planes. How small are the Aloha air planes? If anyone has flown both, can you tell me any other differences?

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Suzie

Flew in Sept interisland on Aloha and they were not a prop planes. The flights run like busses, every hour or so. The sister airline called Island air uses DASH-8 planes. The aloha planes are all jets.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Hawaii Traveler

I've flown both Hawaiian and Aloha many, many times between islands and have no preference. When one is cheaper I go with that one. Otherwise, it's whichever time suits me better.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:24 AM
scigirl

Both Aloha and Hawaiian use jets. Hawaiian just bought a new fleet of planes, Aloha's planes are older. Prop planes are used my island air for some very small hops (e.g. between airports on a single island). There is very little difference between Aloha and Hawaiian for interisland flights (which last only 20 minutes or so, anyhow).

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:24 AM
scigirl

Both Aloha and Hawaiian use jets. Hawaiian just bought a new fleet of planes, Aloha's planes are older. Prop planes are used by island air for some very small hops (e.g. between airports on a single island). There is very little difference between Aloha and Hawaiian for interisland flights (which last only 20 minutes or so, anyhow).

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Anon

We flew on Hawaiian and they used very old rickety jets. They smelled like locker rooms and really needed to be refurbished. I'm glad to hear they have replaced them.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Bill

I'm pretty sure that all the Aloha planes are 737s. I didn't see much difference between their planes and those used by mainland airlines. The flights are so short that comfort really isn't a big issue. BTW, all flights are open seating, so take a look at the route maps and try to get a window seat on the best side for seeing the islands by air.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Kal

Alohaaa all,
The only times we flew a prop. inter-isl. is the times we've been to Molokai and then the one time our TA tried to save us some $$$ and booked us on now-defunct Mahalo Air to/from Kauai.

Turbo prop. plane. Going over in nice weather was bumpy enuff but on the way back, went thru a little storm. Someone lost her "Eggberts Veggie Omlette"...no names mentioned, of course.
Mahalo,
Kal

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Elena

Ahhh thanks! I'm glad to hear that both operate jets. Props make me a bit nervous, but the times for Aloha were better between Kauai and Maui.