Alma De Sedona / La Posada in Winslow

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone out there ever stayed at these small inns. They both sound wonderful from the descriptions. Since we don't know the area at all, we are unsure location and activities etc. Any feeback, things to look out for thinks to ask for and places to eat would be appreciated. Thank you all.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:00 AM

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Alma De Sedona & it was wonderful. Great breakfast, quiet location with great views. Fantastic room & service. Sedona is great for hiking, eating, art galleries, taking it all in. Just be more specific with what you want to know & I'll try to help.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I don't know anything Arizona (except being in Touscon about 15 years ago and loving it). I have read about jeep tours and wonder if they are worth it and if so which company etc. Can you recommend a place for dinner? We love historic sites, museums, beautiful views and easy hikes. Thanks for your help.
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:44 AM

The best dinner we had was at the Heartline Cafe - superb! Also, Dahl & DeLuca was fantastic for italian food. We did the Broken Arrow Pink Jeep Tour & thought it was worth every penny. Enabled us to get close to and on great rock formations without having to hike. We did a lot of hiking -difficult & easy - a great way to see Sedona. One of the best was Devil's Bridge & Cowpies. Also, if you decide on Alma De Sedona, there is a lot of easy hiking along the Thunder Mountain Trail system behind the property.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:59 PM

Hi, we are planning on going to Az in the fall. First timers to that region ! I'm looking forward to our stay in Sedona !! I just looked at Alma de Sedona website. It looks very inviting. What about the location ?? Is it in Sedona, or outside ? When are you going , merryfish ? Please post a report later ! We probably will go in Sept. Have a great trip !
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:03 PM

We stayed one night at La Posada a couple of years ago (they were just opening at that time) on our way back through Arizona from New Mexico. It's a very cool historic building designed by Mary Colter, the architect who did some of the buildings at the Grand Canyon village, among other works.

It is not your cookie cutter hotel; if you like historic places with character and some quirkiness, you will enjoy a stay there. There's not much to the town, but the hotel has a good dining room, and there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore. It is right on the train line (it was a hotel for the railroad) but I don't recall any real problems with noise.

Old May 9th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

I am a bit obsessive about checking places out on the internet and so far have found wonderful places. We live in Maryland - I know the east coast well but am just starting to learn about the SW since our daughter moved to Albuquerque. We will be starting out Oct 7 in Las Vegas (Bellagio)and then the Grand Canyon (El Tovar). I have never been to either place. In Sedona we are looking for a place to slow down the pace, relax together and keep things low key. That's why I thought a smaller place than one of the resorts would be ideal. My impression from the stuff I have read is that Alma de Sedona is that it is in a quieter area. After Sedona we'll to to La Posada (I love historic places and look forward to staying there) in Winslow while spending the days at the Canyon De Chelly. After that we drive straight to Albuquerque to see our daughter.

Thanks for all the good feed back. Please send more as you think of it!
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Merryfish:

As a preview to your stay at La Posada, while you are at the Grand Canyon you can see some other buildings that architect Mary Colter designed; Hopi House and the Watchtower spring to mind. Hopi House has beautiful Native American jewelry and crafts for sale, too.

I became a real fan of Mary Colter after staying at La Posada; an interesting and creative woman.

How long will you be in New Mexico? Are you planning on visiting Santa Fe and Taos? Both are fascinating -- and in my opinion, New Mexico has the best food in the SW. (My opinion, don't flame me, Arizonans!) And if you like historic places, check out Bandolier National Monument -- great cliff dwellings that you can climb up into.

Have a great trip.