Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   all the way to Ft Lauderdale for shopping? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/all-the-way-to-ft-lauderdale-for-shopping-343401/)

joan2009 Jul 31st, 2003 11:54 PM

all the way to Ft Lauderdale for shopping?

hi,
we are planning a visit to Orlando this month for 9 days. Since I love shopping, I was wondering if it be too crazy an idea to go to the Sawgrass Mills for a day. I am not really in the factory outlets I very much liked the Florida Mall, so without any rental car and it seeming a long trip, should I go or just stick to Orlando? Some info? I don't bring my kids but I love to buy them gifts (colorful clothing, toys, stationary...); they're 3 teens and a 4-year old son. And where do I go for foodshopping-I like baking-?
Greetings
Joan

ziggy Aug 1st, 2003 01:22 AM

I've been to both. If you liked Florida Mall you would love Sawgrass. Their parking lot is divided into specific areas so you can remember where you parked.

I don't think there is any comparison - Sawgrass was fantastic - but it is quite a drive from Orlando (4 hrs or so). Sawgrass has foodcourts but also has Wolfgang Puck's and other eateries.

You have 9 days - ?? Don't know what all you have planned in Orlando but you might find other places in Ft. Lauderdale areas to do if you go to Sawgrass - there's the huge swapshop on Sunrise going out of Lauderdale toward Sawgrass.

Foodshopping? - Sorry. Just don't know.

Enjoy the Sunshine State.

mamajo Aug 1st, 2003 04:03 AM

My girlfriend and I were in Orlando for a week last fall and we did all our shopping in Orlando...they were just opening a new mall, plus we went on International drive and another big mall, and the huge Beltz outlet mall. I've been to Sawgrass when in Ft. Lauderdale and it was nice, but not nice enough to drive that far just to see it...JMHO.

Statia Aug 1st, 2003 04:42 AM

I agree with Mamajo. Sawgrass Mills is nice, but I don't think it necessarily has any stores that you won't find in Orlando. Personally, it would be too far of a drive for me when I can find comparable stores in the area I'm in.

Heartburn3 Aug 1st, 2003 06:53 PM

I live near Sawgrass Mills Mall and I'm wondering what you want from there that would be worth driving all those boring hours to get to? Orlando had loads of shopping. I'm not knocking Sawgrass Mills, but unless you are a shopaholic, I can't understand the trip. If you were planning a side trip to Ft. Lauderdale, I'd understand wanting to go to the mall while you are here. You might want to check out some hotels in Plantation (half way between the beach and Sawgrass Mills, as well as being the location of two other malls on University Drive.)

If you expect to get some fantastic bargains that would cover the cost of a day-trip, I don't think it's worth it.

I'd be happy to suggest a couple places in Plantation:
*Renaissance Hotel (I-595 & Pine Island Road)
*Courtyard Marriott, Plantation
(the above probably have good prices thru priceline)

LilMsFoodie Aug 3rd, 2003 02:09 AM

I've been to all the outlet malls in Orlando and to Sawgrass. I quite frankly don't get Sawgrass. The Neimans has very old product that has made the company rounds many times before landing in Fort Lauderdale. You can get a very old, shop worn Armani suit but it will still be marked $800 or so. Lots of sleazy shops. The Orlando stores seem to be better stocked IMO. The Sawgrass mall has been not doing as well as they do not have the plane loads of South Americans they used to have. Many South American currencies buy little these days so you don't see the four and five cart trains (filled with jeans, sneakers, etc) that you used to.

Many other things to do around Fort Lauderdale but Sawgrass would not be a priority for me. LMF