Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   All right Hawaii fans, What is the cheapest price you've paid for air/hotel to Hawaii?est (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/all-right-hawaii-fans-what-is-the-cheapest-price-youve-paid-for-air-hotel-to-hawaii-est-412767/)

Janny Mar 18th, 2004 05:54 PM

All right Hawaii fans, What is the cheapest price you've paid for air/hotel to Hawaii?est

DH and I LOVE Hawaii, particulary Maui. I wish the airfare was cheaper from where we are flying from- Michigan. Just curious what is the cheapest amount you've paid including air/hotel to Hawaii. For me the lowest airfare price I've paid was $464.00 per person to Maui. Of course this price was the same year in the fall after 9/11. I'd say we probably paid around $2,000 for air/hotel/rental car.

I would love to again go for cheap. Don't see how that is possible?

salgal Mar 18th, 2004 06:19 PM

We went to Kauai in November after 9/11 and payed 100 dollars one way per person to Honolulu and another 125 to Kauai. The year before that for our honeymoon we payed 650 dollars per person roundtrip from the midwest.

jennifha Mar 19th, 2004 01:01 PM

I'll be watching this thread. We also live in Michigan. We just went to Maui last month and I'm trying to figure out a way to get back around December. My husband says that we only can do it if I can find a great deal. We paid $700 airfare out of Grand Rapids and about $3000 total for air/convertible/condo for 10 nights. I booked everything separately because every package I found seemed to be a lot more. If anybody has any tips on how to get these great deals, that would be helpful too.

Janny Mar 19th, 2004 04:00 PM

Jennifha,

Do you plan on staying 10 nights again? Are you looking to stay in a hotel/condo again and want to pay $3000. I think that can be easily done. See I want to pay under $2,000 for air/condo/car. I would be flying out of Metro Airport. I know I'm dreaming!! I just love Maui. By the way, which condo property did you stay at?

Alohamom Mar 20th, 2004 03:48 AM

Do you ever split it up. For example, I am looking into a flight to L.A. right now and did a quick travelocity search from Detroit for you. You can get a cheap fare to L.A. or San Fran (like 200 or under) and then go with Aloha or Hawaiian over to Hawaii for around 300 rt.The problem with this is obviously the switching of airlines and the connection times, lost baggage etc.. but if you plan ahead you'd be o.k. Just a thought...

mlarson Mar 20th, 2004 07:54 AM

Booked direct on Continental Airline's website. Found this to be cheaper than Travelocity or Expedia. Booked from Houston,TX to Oahu non-stop June 2004 roundtrip $592/ticket

Booked 7 nites @ Hilton Hawaiian Village for $1200 - one bedroom condo. Only catch - listen to 2hr deal on timeshare. Felt it was worth it.

susancw Mar 20th, 2004 11:48 PM

We also booked through Continental's website and are flying R/T from Atlanta through Houston to Honolulu for $466.00 pp. for May 2004 trip.

Munchkey Mar 21st, 2004 03:16 AM

Just paid $ 58/night at the Radisson on Oahu thru Priceline. It was an incredible value.

bogart04 Mar 21st, 2004 03:56 AM

$600 RT AA through Expedia from Baltimore-Honolulu, Feb. 2004

$80/night Hawaiiana Hotel, Waikiki.

Jillwen Mar 21st, 2004 06:11 AM

Last May paid $432 rt from Washington, DC to Honolulu on Continental. Two sites I use to find fares are Orbitz and www.bestfares.com. I like that on Orbitz you can do flexible dates and lenght of stay. I've never bought a ticket from either site. I just use them to find out about fares.

mcarey Mar 21st, 2004 07:41 AM

I've heard waiting until after easter for June thru summer is when prices start going down. Anyone know if this is true? That's really getting close to my June 2 departure plans for comfort. Any opinions?

jennifha Mar 21st, 2004 10:21 AM

Janny-
It probably would be a shorter trip this time. We stayed at the Makani Sands. It was right on the ocean with small beach area. It wasn't luxury accomodations, but it was reasonable and fit our needs perfectly. We probably would fly out of Lansing, Grand Rapids, or Flint if we could. I haven't found that metro has been much cheaper on flights recently, which is surprising.

teresazona Mar 21st, 2004 12:38 PM

In May of 2002, we booked a trip from Phoenix to Maui for $699, plus taxes and fees, it came to about $800. That was for 2 people. That included a hotel room in Lahiana, a rental car and air fare. The deal was for seven nights. I found the deal online, it was for a certain date and it just happened to be on a week my husband was on vacation. So I

teresazona Mar 21st, 2004 12:43 PM

In May of 2002, we booked a trip from Phoenix to Maui for $699, plus taxes and fees it came to about $800. That was for 2 people. That included a hotel room in Lahiana, a rental car and air fare. The deal was for seven nights. I found the deal online, it was for a certain date and it just happened to be on a week my husband was on vacation. So I booked it. It was a great week, we had a great time and we could not believe our good luck to have found the trip for so cheap. I don't think we will ever find a deal like that again.

riggsie Mar 22nd, 2004 09:04 AM

The March after 911 we paid 365.00 PP from our small town in Idaho to Maui. Three connections each way. We just returned on Saturday 3/20/04 and paid 755.00 for the same connection. Hopefully our trip in 2006 will be with 4 skymile tickets! I dont think we will ever see the 365.00 fare again.

jette Mar 22nd, 2004 09:26 AM

Ditto, riggsie. Paid $320 round trip w/1 transfer from Milwaukee around that same time. Can't come even close to that this year!
I have very good friends that live in Oahu so I stay for free plus groceries/gas/dinners out for my wonderful host family. Its normally a pretty cheap vacation for me but this year the airfares are through the roof!

singlegalzzz Mar 22nd, 2004 02:37 PM

Cheapest price? Free. Using miles for ticket and hotel points for Hilton.

Oh you mean an actual price? ;) Okay. Less than $400 on AA to Oahu from California. Can't say for hotel because I've only used hotel points. I should calculated the price of charging my credit card so much. Hahaha.

Waldo Mar 22nd, 2004 06:01 PM

I'm pretty sure no one can beat this one---
In 2002, my wife and I stayed at the Waikiki Imperial for one week, after winning an auction on SkyAuction.com. The total cost for the week was $311.00.
We were lucky and found tickets from Baltimore to Honolulu for $282.00 each. After six days at the Imperial, American Airlines reached me at my room and told me the flight home the next day was oversold, and would I be willing to take a midight flight the same day, telling me that they would give me two vouchers for $300.00 each. I took them up on the offer. That made the airline fare for the trip equal minus $18.00 each. That's a heck of an airline fare. In summation, the fare and the week in the hotel (really a condominium, and a nice one at that), cost my wife and me the grand sum of a fantastic $275.00.

Renee Oct 11th, 2004 09:28 AM

I just paid $389.00 r/t with one transfer to Honolulu this morning on American. Total cost is $418.00 with taxes..we plan to travel next August.

Renee Oct 11th, 2004 09:28 AM

Oh, I live in Atlanta!