Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   all midtown nycity hotels booked dates we need..have a question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/all-midtown-nycity-hotels-booked-dates-we-need-have-a-question-620034/)

loisco Jun 1st, 2006 07:55 AM

all midtown nycity hotels booked dates we need..have a question

We need 3 nights in NYC June 6 through 9. Looks like all hotels midtown booked.(I have spent hours online) My husband wants to be near the theaters. Can someone tell me where else to look? Maybe another area which would only be a short cab ride (I will have to convince him). Thanks so much.

MFNYC Jun 1st, 2006 08:07 AM

Where exactly were you looking. I just put your dates in Kayak.com (searches various sites for best prices) for Midtown West (theater area) and it came back with almost 100 hotels (all different types and prices).

Another option would be doing a priceline bid. If you are interested in this, check out biddingfortravel.com for more info.

MFNYC Jun 1st, 2006 08:13 AM

ACtually I just checked expedia and the Affinia website, and I see most hotels are either booked or have very high rates. There must be something going on here during that timeframe.

Did you check any of the last minutet websites, or even the chain sites (marriott, etc).

MFNYC Jun 1st, 2006 08:25 AM

The best western president in Times Square area has rooms for an avaerage of about $350. Apparently you're 1st 2 nights are very much in demand and the rates are quite high. They drop a lot for the 3rd night. Anything else I see is more in the $500 ballpark.

You can still try priceline. Even at $250 you'd be getting a deal.

Callaloo Jun 1st, 2006 08:25 AM

I was recently booking hotels in Phoenix/Scottsdale and found little/no availability for my dates on both the hotel sites and Expedia. However, when I went to aavacations.com (the American Airlines vacation site), not only did I find availability, but also lower rates. You don't have to book flights with hotels on this site (with a few exceptions).

jlm_mi Jun 1st, 2006 08:37 AM

Weekdays are generally much more expensive in NYC than weekends, due to business travel. I see the novotel for your nights - $459/night for the first two nights, then $419 the 3rd.

How could your husband need convincing to stay outside of the theater district if there are no hotels available right in it? Would he have a choice?

Hotels in the southern end of the upper west side, in Hell's Kitchen (also known as Clinton) and Midtown East, as well as along the southern border of Central Park would all be very close to the theater district (you could walk, or take cab or subway).

Even staying in the further south neighborhoods wouldn't take particularly long in a cab. How long is a short cab ride to you and your husband?

jlm_mi Jun 1st, 2006 08:54 AM

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square is offering $599/night.

jlm_mi Jun 1st, 2006 08:57 AM

You might also want to consider bidding on priceline's Midtown West zone as a long shot. I'd think the odds of getting anything are extremely slim given the high occupancy, but it doesn't hurt to try if you're sure you're going (no changes or cancellations allowed).

MikeT Jun 1st, 2006 09:06 AM

Looks like the city is jam-packed. Do you have theatre tickets? Could you go another time? Why did you wait so long to book?

nytraveler Jun 1st, 2006 09:15 AM

The city does look very busy those nights - I tried a couple places on the upper west side and they were showing full.

I think you may have to take what neighborhood you can - and worry about cabbing to the theater later.

Best choices for convenience would be Central Park South, midtown east, upper west side, upper east side and then downtown.

MFNYC Jun 1st, 2006 09:27 AM

I would book something asap. Given the prices and availability, I don't think location makes much of a difference so you might as well go with something midtown west.

You can still try for a priceline room at a better rate, and cancel your reservation if you get a better deal.

loisco Jun 1st, 2006 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the help. What are the last minute sites someone referred to?...husband won't do Priceline.

I am thinking maybe this is not a good idea but I am not one to give up...we are in NJ now. Due to our age, it's difficult to take a bus in..hope I can find something.

MFNYC Jun 1st, 2006 11:48 AM

site59.com
laterooms.com
lastminutetravel.com

Good luck!

MFNYC Jun 1st, 2006 12:18 PM

Maybe your husband will change his mind about priceline if you tell him people are gettig the NY Hilton for $140 for those dates. There's a post on biddingfortravel.com.

I use priceline frequently and have gotten some great deals.

jlm_mi Jun 1st, 2006 12:25 PM

You might also look at the map of the midtown west area on priceline to see how small it really is. It's virtually impossible to get a hotel there that wouldn't be convenient for theater-going.

MikeT Jun 1st, 2006 12:57 PM

Or better yet, let your husband do it since he's the one making all the demands. <g>

wantsomesun Jun 1st, 2006 01:19 PM

I can suggest a couple of hotels in the area that you might want to check The Hotel Grand Union on E 32nd St, right off Madison Ave and the Roger Williams on Madison Ave at 30th ST.

The Roger Williams is a little nicer but both are convenient and you are a short cab ride or a 20 minute walk to the Times Square area.

The Hotel Grand Union has a website and last I saw the rooms there were going for $140 a night or so.

Have a great time while you are here.

wantsomesun Jun 1st, 2006 01:28 PM

I just called the Hotel Grand Union (www.hotelgrandunion.com) and they have rooms available with AAA discount the rate is 180plus tax for 2 double beds in a superior room. The hotel was redone a year or so ago and it quite nice. There is no restaurant, but there are lots of restaurants very near by.

You also might want to check www.hotels.com there were alot of hotels available for your dates in various price ranges.

Hope this helps.

nytraveler Jun 1st, 2006 04:53 PM

I would really concentrate on finding something either uptown or downtowm asap. While hotels.com does have a few places - most of those it lists aren't actually in - or even very near Manhattan.