Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

All By Myself, a Solo Trip Report, Last Day...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

January 7th:
My last day to explore...
I was up early to wander before meeting Jenny, my Jane Eyre friend, at 11 for lunch and a stroll through Central Park.

I went up a few side streets to admire the brownstones, but kept mostly to Broadway. I was very excited to find Edgar's Cafe since I've taught Poe many years. "Quoth the 'Robin' nevermore." (Cheeky of me, but I was dying to do that.) I saw some of the locales used for "You've Got Mail," such as Starbuck's and Zabar's. I had to go in there to, you guessed it, stand in the cheese aisle. Sigh. On my way back to the Belleclaire, I stopped in at Claire's to buy the cutest black fringed boots for my daughters. The last two pairs!!

Time to meet Jenny and her baby, Eli. (She was pregnant with him the last time I'd seen her.) What a handsome little guy. We headed over to the Popover Cafe for some Mexican chicken soup and of course, a popover. I'd never had a popover before, but now I'm a big fan. A puff of delight. Delicious!

After lunch, we strolled through Central Park where I saw some enormous squirrels. The economy has evidently not affected those critters. At the Reservoir, we happened upon a wedding. It was such a cold day. Do they make flannel wedding gowns? Well, anyway, the bride looked lovely, and I hope she didn't have pneumonia on her honeymoon.

Onto Lincoln Center where we visited the exhibit: Celebrating 50 Years. I thoroughly enjoyed this walk through time. There are letters, photos, costumes, etc., and best of all, different stations where you can sit, put on headphones, and watch various performances from the archives. Eli was a real trooper and bebopped right along with his mommy and me.

I was supposed to meet my Tripadvisor friend again for dinner and a show, so hugs and goodbyes to Jenny and Eli. My friend met me at the hotel, and then it was off to the Village to meet NYCgirl for pizza at John's. Terrific pizza! It may have been the tiniest Tripadvisor get-together ever, but it was big on fun and laughter. A goodbye hug to Terry and then it was time to head to Brooklyn for "Brief Encounter."

"Brief Encounter"
This was my second favorite show this trip. If "Finian's Rainbow" hadn't captured my heart so completely, it would have been a tie. "Brief Encounter" is probably the most innovative musical that I've ever seen. The music was incorporated in such a stirring and subtle manner, and film was also integrated quite smoothly into the action on stage. I felt immersed in this show from beginning to end. Loved it!

A hug and quick goodbye, catch that bus! to my buddy who made the trip so memorable. Thank you, friend.

The next morning I caught a taxi to LGA and made the trip home. My husband and girls met me at the airport even though I'd parked my car there. We had received about eight inches of snow during my time away, so they unburied my car for me. What a welcome!

(I think they give a rat's tail about me, too.) I am surely blessed.

For all you solo wannabee's, start planning. New York is waiting...

Robin
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Am living your trip to New York vicariously Robin. Hope to get there sometime later this year.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM

A good trip; good report. Thanks for taking the time to share!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:14 AM

I'm glad you made it to the exhibit at Lincoln Center before it closed. It was great. Nice report. Come back soon.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:29 AM

Sounds like a wonderful day; thanks for sharing!