Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   algonquin hotel nyc worth it???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/algonquin-hotel-nyc-worth-it-268980/)

jorge Oct 28th, 2002 07:12 AM

algonquin hotel nyc worth it????

Booked the algonquin hotel in december, is this hotel worth it at 250$. The price seems low for a 4 star with much of the city's hotels pretty much booked. We would like to stay in the hotels vicinity... any thoughts on the hotel? Thanks in advance.

Donna Oct 28th, 2002 07:54 AM

We love everything about the Algonquin, especially the location. The hotel was bought by Camberley Hotels a few years ago, and it was sold again last year. Camberley redecorated, so why rates have taken such a hike with the new owners, I can't imagine. We paid $129/night last December and $169/night the December before. Be advised that standard rooms have one double bed and are quite compact. Bathrooms are small as well, some with shower/no tub. Interior rooms are not as desirable as they are very dark, even on a sunny day. For a reasonable rate, we love the place and it's one of our favorite places to stay, but for $250/night, I'd keep shopping. You can do much better with Hotwire or Priceline.

Ruth Oct 28th, 2002 09:34 AM

I'm far from being an expert, but we just stayed at the Mansfield Hotel, across the street from the Algonquin. The Iroquois and the Sofitel are in the same street. We loved the Mansfield. It was listed as 3* by Priceline, but seemed to have every facility one could want (the room was quite small though).

brenda Oct 28th, 2002 12:08 PM

Just stayed at the Algonquin this past weekend. Very historic-will be 100 yrs old in Nov. However very European with small, but very clean rooms. Modern bathrooms but small there too. Our rate was $229. We are glad we tried it, but my husband and I travel a lot and just like more of the modern amenities.Will go back next time to the NY Hilton --still our favorite. Or we'll try another.....

Carol Nov 12th, 2002 12:54 PM

One of the assets of the Algonquin is that it was the site of the "Algonquin Round Table" during the 20s (punch it in on your web site) where many writers and other intellectuals regularly gathered to drink and verbally-joust with each other. I think Dorothy Parker made her famous come back to the challenge "make a just using the word Horticulture" and quipped in response: "You can lead a whore to culture, but you cannot make her think".

xxx Nov 12th, 2002 04:06 PM

The Algonquin does have quite a history, but Carol can you tell us how this is an "asset" to staying there? Especially at such inflated prices for mediocre rooms.

darvy Nov 12th, 2002 05:02 PM

I haven't stayed at the Algonquin, but the Sofitel just next door is REALLY REALLY NICE. And their rates can be much better than the Algonquin. And the Sofitel is only a year or so old. My advice: have a drink at the Algonquin, but stay at the Sofitel.

Donna Nov 12th, 2002 05:19 PM

The rooms at the Algonquin are not "mediocre". They are nicely decorated and appointed, very comfortable, with all the ammenities, just "compact". Wallpaper in the halls is New Yorker cartoons. The public areas are terrific. The lobby lounge has a terrific menu with a huge array of offerings. They still have a bell on each table which you ring to summon prompt assistance. The Blue Bar is a vintage "hotel bar" where the bartenders have been there for years and years. Hotel guests are not charged for non-alcoholic beverages. The Round Table Room (with the famous Round Table) has warmth, elegance, and ambience, along with wonderful food at reasonable prices and very nice service. Last year, we were checking out Christmas Day and arrived just a minute before breakfast was to end. Not only were we graciousy seated and served, party after party after us was as well, even off the street folks who were not hotel guests. We had a magnificent Christmas Day breakfast, perfect ahead of a long drive home. The Oak Room cabaret is also within. There is nothing so wonderful as enjoying a terrific dinner, fabulous cabaret show (where, unlike Feinsteins's and Cafe Carlyle, you are not herded about like cattle and rushed to maximize the "take"), and then having only to take the elevator "home" afterward. The service here is "personal", friendly, and warm. After checking out, the maitre d' filled our travel mugs with coffee for us, no charge. The doorman gave us perfect directions to the Triborough Bridge. Parking across the street is $28/night versus the $40 at most other places. The rich history serves to more enhance the experience of your stay. We've stayed at the NY Hilton, too. These two places cannot compare in atmosphere and service. The lobby at the Hilton is always like Grand Central. Now, I like to keep the room rate under $200/night (so we can stay longer). Depending upon the rates available for our dates, our first choice is pretty much the Algonquin.

helpful Nov 12th, 2002 06:33 PM

Has everyone noticed that it's always the anonymous folks who have nothing of value to contribute?

Dan Nov 12th, 2002 07:53 PM

And xxx ([email protected]) is a pro at posting &quot;worthless&quot; comments - usually criticizing someone or something - Nothing pleases this person!<BR><BR>Jorge, if this hotel fits your budget - go for it! it is very elegant and I don't think you'll be disappointed.