Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Alexandria, VA Marriott Residence Inn et al (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/alexandria-va-marriott-residence-inn-et-al-1024000/)

goddesstogo Aug 26th, 2014 01:42 PM

Alexandria, VA Marriott Residence Inn et al

We'll be in Alexandria for four or five days in October, visiting friends who live locally but we want to stay in a hotel in Old Town Alexandria.

Several that have been recommended (Loriend, Monaco, Embassy Suites) don't have rooms available on the days we're going. One that is available and is a good price is the Marriott Residence Inn. We've stayed at many Marriotts and liked them but I just wondered if anyone has any personal experience with this one.

I'd be happy to hear other suggestions as well. We need a hotel with a fitness centre, located in a good walking area. Four stars would be good or an excellent three star. We don't really need a fiver.

I know my friends will have restaurant suggestions but I'm always happy to hear the fodorites ideas.

Many thanks
gtg

obxgirl Aug 26th, 2014 04:01 PM

There are two RI's in Old Town. One is on Duke Street near the King St metro which is the western edge of Old Town proper. Duke parallels King St. There is another RI called something like Old Town Carlyle and it is about a third of a mile west of the Duke St one. Easy walk but a more gov't/office area. I've stayed in both but would choose the Duke St one of the two b/c it's closer to shops & dining. Both are nice.

obxgirl Aug 26th, 2014 04:04 PM

There is also a nice looking Hilton at the top of King St spitting distance from the metro. Haven't stayed there tho so can't comment on quality.

goddesstogo Aug 26th, 2014 07:33 PM

OK, thanks. I feel better about the RI (it's the Duke Street one I'm thinking of). I'll take a look at the Hilton too.

obxgirl, every time I see your screen name I get nostalgic for South Nags Head. :(

Pat_in_Mich Aug 27th, 2014 03:32 AM

We stayed at the Duke Street Residence Inn in 2012 and overall were pleased with it. The location was great and the people were friendly and helpful

goddesstogo Aug 27th, 2014 03:44 AM

Thanks, Pat. That's good to hear.

obxgirl Aug 27th, 2014 04:48 AM

<i>obxgirl, every time I see your screen name I get nostalgic for South Nags Head.</i>

Schedule a return visit! :-)

cmcfong Aug 27th, 2014 05:55 AM

I have stayed at the one on Duke and it is a very good choice. Easy walking distance to the Metro and Whole Foods. Comfortable beds, very quiet and nicely appointed. While I go Kimpton if it is an option, this is an nice hotel.

goddesstogo Aug 27th, 2014 07:43 AM

I'd love that, obxgirl. Maybe one day...

cmc, the Kimptons didn't have rooms available but they were too expensive anyway, for this trip.

goddesstogo Aug 27th, 2014 08:02 AM

Booked it!

I was glad I called in because I got a better rate than I would have just doing it on the website. The rate changes while we're there but it averages out to about $217 a night for the 1 bedroom suite (where the bedroom is actually a separate room), which is just fine. It also includes free wi-fi in the room and a hot buffet breakfast so it's a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the good direction, everyone!

SeaF Aug 27th, 2014 09:27 AM

I've stayed at the Duke St RI a couple of times...no problems, very nice!
I've also stayed at that Hilton that is very close to the metro stop. Wonderful cheese blintzes at their breakfast buffet!

SeaF Aug 27th, 2014 09:29 AM

Oh, there's a Hard Times café nearby that has great chili--not fine dining, but I like it! Restaurant Eve is supposedly among the top places to dine in Alexandria, but I have not eaten there.

goddesstogo Aug 27th, 2014 09:44 AM

Thanks, SeaF. I'm going to make a note of everyone's suggestions and bring them along.

obxgirl Aug 27th, 2014 10:35 AM

I'm sure your friends have their favorites for dining in Old Town -- mine would be Vermillion, The Majestic, Brabo (a bit stuffy) and a venerable personal favorite, The Warehouse.

Offbeat choices:

Killer ESP in the 1000 block of King St. Espresso, sorbet and pie. Go. There.

Caphe Banh Mi on Cameron Street. Excellent pho and banh mi. Very reasonably priced relative to the neighborhood.

goddesstogo Aug 27th, 2014 10:56 AM

Great list, obxgirl, thanks! Do you spend a lot of time there? Don't you live in NC?

I'm sure they'll have their favourites too and they have wonderful taste. They've taken us to some excellent places in Washington -- I just can't remember any names.

A friend just told us about King Street Blues as well. I'm not expecting great food but wouldn't mind hearing some good music.

obxgirl Aug 28th, 2014 06:05 AM

gtg, I'm a tarheel native. Lived for years in Alexandria. DC and Williamsburg are home.

Enjoy your visit!

cmcfong Aug 28th, 2014 04:46 PM

Oh obxgirl, I will have to try that Killer ESP on my next trip. Sounds pretty good.

Goddess, do you belong to the Kimpton Loyalty program? It is free to join and they offer some very nice last minute rate specials.

Enjoy your trip!