Alert re:car rental, esp. Dollar but others?

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Beep Beep

Alert re:car rental, esp. Dollar but others?

Car rental rates are climbing steadily, but it also seems to me that they have some new "scams" to get people to pay for stuff they don't need. A recent experience with Dollar ORD (but figure others are doing the same thing?):

1. They now provide several "options" instead of the CDW and gas-purchase plans. You have at least three "levels" of supplemental insurance and the least expensive "minimum" (which they say covers your deductible) appears to be required. It is not, any more than the next two levels of extra daily insurance.

2. There are also three types of gas plan, two of which ask you to buy gas from them, one at something like $1.39 and the other at $4.39 a gallon. As if! Trouble is, if you think you're being clever and asking for "Option 1" (the cheaper), they still charge you for MORE than a full tank. On ours, they charged us for 17 gallons, but when we checked the owner's manual, the total fuel tank capacity -- which you NEVER reach because there's always a gallon or two below the indicator -- is only 15.8 gallons.

3. If you've booked at a special rate but then have to change your plans and need an extra day, you lose the special rate and revert to the "rack rate," although they won't tell you that until you get your final bill and have to explain why $39 per day is suddenly $57 per day. If you have time before your plane, you can always argue with them, of course.

You have to be tough because they talk fast and insistently, but you have to turn down all those "it's a better deal for you" enticements that make your original quote of $122 for the period of the rental actually $299.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:26 AM
amy

I had a similar experience, although it was with Budget, where the agent kept trying to get us to upgrade. Her offer went from only $15 extra per day (almost double what we were paying) to 8.00 per day extra. She just kept trying and trying. I wonder if they get commission for any upgrades they can sell?

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:01 AM
car

We too had a similar experience with Avis. The counter guy tried to sell us every additional option they had upgrade to bigger car, bigger engine, gas, insurance! I had done my homework, knew the best prices, etc and had printed it out.

I also had a $25 coupon printed out from Avis.com, at first he refused it saying it was a photocopy (NO where did it say it had to be original) When I explained my printer wasn't great, he begrudingly accepted it.

Do they work on commission??

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 09:13 AM
George

All car rental agencies are like that. But always listen carefully.

If you indicate you're going to fill it up before you return it, better be sure you do so. If they have to end up doing it, your charge will be upwards of $5 a gallon.

Car-rental agencies have always charged the single-day rate for extra days past the agreed-upon rental period.

They're not your friendly neighbors. They're running a business. I'm sure there's some kind of commission structure in there, but I don't care. They're entrusting me with their $25,000 automobile, and expecting me to live up to an agreement I willingly signed.

I think it's the least I can do.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:00 AM
gotcha

Many time the reason that they try to get you to upgrade is because they have run out of the class of car that you have rented and instead of giving you the upgrade for free they try to get you to pay for it. Many times I have reserved an economy car when I show up they try and try to get you to upgrade and in the end they ended up giving it to me for no charge because all the economy class cars were gone.