Alberta to Oregon Coast to Redwood Forest and San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are A family of 5 (kids 15, 13 and 9) planning a 17-day trip in a trailer looking for itinerary advice. So far, we have planned to travel to Spokane first day, then to Neahalem State Park for 3 nights, then Beverly Beach State Park for one night, then Cape Perpetual 2 nights, then
Something in here, then 2 nights at Humblldt State Park, then 3 nights in San Francisco area then boot it home. Would appreciate comments on what we have planned so far, whether it makes sense etc. thanks for any help!
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 02:54 PM

Spokane to Nehalem is a long drive, and you won't have time to check out the great views of the Columbia River from WA-14 or the waterfalls on the Historic Columbia River Highway.

Beverly Beach, on the other hand, is only 90 miles from Nehalem and Cape Perpetua is only 33 miles from Nehalem.

I would look for a place to spend the night in the Columbia River Gorge so the kids can see all the waterfalls.

Your children would also likely enjoy Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, near Reedsport.

HTtY
Old Apr 29th, 2015, 11:54 PM

We've done parts of that trip with 2 boys several times. Here's an itinerary we'd recommend:
Spokane to La Wis Wis campground in WA. Wonderful campground, beautiful river and day trip to Mt St. Helens is easy.
From La Wis Wis go to Fort Stevens Oregon -shipwreck!
Head down the Oregon Coast, stopping at Tillamook for Ice Cream.
Stay between Florence and Reedsport. There are many campgrounds with lakes and dunes. Our favorite is Carter Lake (non-dune-buggy part of the dunes and small non-motor lake). If you'd like to get farther, Harris Beach State Park is a more developed choice, but very nice beach and wild berry picking.
While still in the far north of CA, stop at Lady Bird Johnson Grove (aka Star Wars VI's forest moon of Endor (Ewoks' home). Great place for a little hike and picnic. Also look up Fern Canyon for a wonderful hike (lots of banana slugs and cool fungi).
Humboldt is not our favorite CA state park, but it is central. If you don't make it that far, Prairie Creek (Gold Beach) and Patrick's Point are both great--but different from one another. I assume you are avoiding Hwy 1 at that point? Much nicer camps there, but much longer drive. Consider Grizzly Creek St. Park just north of Humboldt. It's small, but off the hwy, on a creek...just a bit sweeter. Know that you are likely to hit traffic heading into the City.
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 08:20 AM

I have stayed at Kamp Klamath , just a little south of Crescent City. Nice site- on Sat night they have a salmon dinner that was excellent.
Old May 1st, 2015, 03:31 PM

SF and trailers don't mix well. I think there is a park north of SF where you could leave your trailer for your SF visit.
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:21 PM

Spokane to Nehalem is a long drive, and one that I don't enjoy. La wis wis sounds great, I'll have to check it out. If you want to get a little closer to Portland, and have no interest in Mt St. Helens, there's a KOA at Cascade Locks that we've found convenient. My preference would be somewhere near Hood River:

http://business.hoodriver.org/list/c...ampgrounds-403
Old May 1st, 2015, 05:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
La Wis Wis is OK if you wanted to visit Mt. Rainier without the trailer for a few hours. I camped there free for a week when I worked on a PIT project working on the old Guard Station.
You would be better off getting into Oregon on I-84 to Hood River and then west on the old Columbia River highway to Ainsworth State Park.
Try to stay out of San Francisco with the trailer.