ALASKA WITH PRINCESS IN SUMMER

Mar 16th, 1997, 04:20 PM
Jake V.

ALASKA WITH PRINCESS IN SUMMER

I will be going to Alaska in the summer. I will be traveling aboard the Star Princess (part of the Princess line). I already have some Fodor's books, but I am still a little vague. Any information about Vancouver, the Inside Passage, Denali, Mt. McKinley, the Kenai Penninsula, and every port of call included would be extremely appreciated. Please include hints, do's and don'ts, best eats and information on Princess tours. THANKYOU!

Mar 22nd, 1997, 11:37 AM
gary

Hi ..this is small world dept comment...my wife and I are ALSO going on STAR princess..depart Vancouver July 21 cabin A129 i think anyway i will look for answers to your query because i have the same Our names Gary and Donna Buss come over and say hello on July 21 !!!!

Mar 22nd, 1997, 11:37 AM
gary

Hi ..this is small world dept comment...my wife and I are ALSO going on STAR princess..depart Vancouver July 21 cabin A129 i think anyway i will look for answers to your query because i have the same Our names Gary and Donna Buss come over and say hello on July 21 !!!!

Apr 18th, 1997, 06:40 PM
Linda Kitchen

My husband and I cruised to Alaska several years ago with Princess on the Pacific Princess. This was our first cruise. It was truly wonderful and gorgeous. Our cruise departed from Vancouver and stopped in Ketchikan where we took the shore excurison to Totem Park. It was very interesting. We walked around the town of Ketchikan. Our next port was Juneau. We did 3 shore excurisons while here. The most exciting was helicopter sightseeing. This was totally awesome. We landed on a glacier and got to walk around on it. This is an expensive shore excurison but well worth the money. We also went to the Lady Lou Revue which was excellent!! We also booked a shore excurison to the Salamon Bake which was also great. We walked around Juneau and went to the St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church , saw the governors house and to the Alaska State Museum. The museum is excellent. We were in port for 12 hours so we had time to do some shopping too. Don't miss the Red Dog Saloon even if you just stop in for a pop. Our next stop was Skagway. This is a really interesting town. We took the shore excurison on the White Pass Railroad. We also went to the Skagway in the Days of '98 (it's a play- we got our tickets off of the ship).
When we cruised with Princess they had a night about the different shore excurisons that they offered in each port. It was well worth going to. You need to buy your tickets early for some of the shore excursions.
Glacier Bay is awesome but tends to be cold-we were there in July and we were glad we had taken our hats and mittens along. The wind off the glaciers is cold!! Take plenty of film. The scenery is breathtaking everywhere you look.
My husband is a picky eater and didn't like what was on the dinner menu, so the head waiter made sure that he always knew ahead of time what the main course was for the following night and if he didn't like it, my husband could have the chefs fix him something else to eat. They were more than willing to make whatever my husband wanted. The desserts are fabulous. Our waiter always gave us a sample of each on the menu.
We got off the ship in Whittier and then took a train to Anchorage. I think Princess now docks in Seward. Shopping is good in Anchorage lots of souviner stores. When we were there the JC Penney store had wonderful Alaska souvineers. Don't forget to buy an ulu. It's an Alaskan knife.
We took the Midnight Sun to Denali Park. Princess has wonderful train cars. Plenty of room and lots of glass to see out. The wildlife excursion into Denali was great! We saw wolves, bears, caribou, fox and moose. We also got to see the MOUNTAIN !! it was out- most of the time I guess it is not out clouded over. It's quite a sight. Got some beautiful pictures of it. We went air boat riding while at Denali. Fairbanks was our last place we visited. The riverboat cruise is nice.
I must say that the people at Princess were wonderful. We never carried our luggage and it was always in our hotel room. They went out of their way to make our trip an enjoyable and pleasant experience.
Hope that your cruise to Alaska will be as good as ours was. We loved Alaska. It's really beautiful. We took 29 rolls of film.

Search this Thread