Alaska -Water Taxi Travel - need help!

May 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Alaska -Water Taxi Travel - need help!

Hello - Has anyone done the water taxi from Seattle thru Vancouver and then up to Ketchikan, then on up the inland passage up to Juneau? I want to do this and herd it can be done. ButI can not find anything on the web that suggests I can. Any help would be appreicated.
Thank you!
May 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Water taxi? Do you mean ferry?

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml
May 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM

The ferry is a great ride but it has very basic cabins and food service. Many people sleep on deck rather than pay for a cabin. Tents are allowed on the fan tail. If you want a cabin you will need to reserve early. I assume they still have a Forest Service person on each trip who gives lectures several times a day. I thought these were great. It's ok to bring your own food. Dress is very casual. Bring hat/gloves for the windier sections. It can be very cold on the water even in July/August.
Jun 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Yes the Ferry or as I have been told its called the water highway(?) This sounds like a great way to travel up the inland passage. The Ferry website doesn't much detail unless you know all the stops and are familiar with the area and I am not. If anyone has done this trip I would love to hear from you. Thank you dfrostnh for your info. Julie
Jun 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Right, it's the Alaska Marine Hwy. Some of the towns along the Inside Passage are accessible only by water or air. The ferry reservation agents are very helpful. You will have to take a look at each stop to see if you want to get off for a short visit. Otherwise, you may only have an hour or two to do something. The dock in Juneau is not near the city but there are plenty of taxis. We got off in Skagway but we had a car with us and our final destination was Anchorage. We stayed in Skagway a couple of days but otherwise didn't really see anything of the other towns. You should research each town, maybe do a Fodor's search to see if you would like to spend a few days before getting on the next ferry. You'll also have to check the ferry schedule to see how often one is in port. I recall talking to the owner of a quilt shop in Skagway. She said people from Juneau would come up on Friday for the weekend to take a quilting class and the next ferry would be sunday or monday. Can't remember the details, just know that the ferry doesn't stop every day.