alaska trip report

Sep 16th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

alaska trip report

Aug.23-flew into anchorage rented minivan with Dollar-would not use them again-they gave me a Kia Sedona and had to pay upgrade for grand caravan.Sedona is not for 5 people.
stayed at Executive Suites near airport-cheap,clean and continental breakfast.
Aug.24-off to denali-went straight to denali national park to get bus tickets to Eilson(reserved by phone)and for 4:00pm dog sled demo and kennels.don't miss it!!checked into denali princess for 2 nites
Aug25-6:30am bus trip to Eilson-saw bears,moose,caribou,dall sheep.Denali was smokey due to fires in Fairbanks.
Aug26-off to the state fair in Palmer and then to anchorage.turned in van and got one way rental to seward with hertz-only one way compay but very happy with hertz.stayed in anchorage at Ramada downtown-nice place-went to eat dinner at Simon and Seaforts-a don't miss restaurant!
Aug.27-drove to kenai.along the way stopped at 2 gold mines,saw beluga whales on the turnagain arm and parked ourselves at Kenai Princess for 2 nites (used toursaver coupon).this lodge is awesome.we ate dinner there both nites and it was good.
Aug.28-hiked to Russian River Falls-saw lots of salmon and burned off some of the food we'd consumed.checked out Kenai river also.
Aug.29-drove to homer.stayed at bestwestern.although not on the spit with a view the price worked-online $128.00/nite.the beds had the most confortable mattresses I ever slept on.Ate at the homestead for dinner-highly recommend-
Aug.30-went to Katami with Emerald Air Services-the highlight of my trip(See bear photos topic) for details.
Aug.31-went to Pratt museum-worth a trip-ate at Sourdough Express-great food-had planned to stay one more nite but smoke was bad so we checked out and headed for Seward.checked
into Seward Windsong Lodge-nice lodge and very good restaurant-stayed for 3 nites until we caught the cruise ship.
Sept.1-went to sea life center and then to kenai fjord nat'l park visitors center. the weather was not cooperating for our boat tour so instead on
Sept. 2 went to exit glacier and hiked the loop-i wanted to hike up to the harding ice field but my travel companions were not up for this-next year i'm doing this-ate dinner at Chinooks-recommend- good food
Sept.3 relaxed-went back to exit glacier-took more pictures-checked our luggage on the ship and ate lunch on the ship-then cruised around seward one last time to say our goodbyes,turned in the rental car,got a shuttle from hertz to the boat which is only about a mile but the wind was blowing and i was cold. Sept.3-Sept.10 cruised southbound on the Summit-which i was not happy with since their ongoing propulsion problem made us late to 2 ports and we cruised the inner passage at nite-had to see at nite-
Did see lots of whales and seals at hubbard glacier. I love the wildlife and the beauty of Alaska but i am annoyed with Celebrity Cruise Lines-they're solution to the propulsion problem -a open bar for one hour-haha i don't drink-a discount would have been more appropriate.If you take a cruise make sure in Skagway use take the WhitePass Train-it's lovely. If you're interested in cruise port info check out cruisecritic.com. I plan to return to Alaska in June and go see those beautiful bears in Katami and do some hiking.

Sep 16th, 2004, 04:41 PM

When I was younger, I almost ran off with my lover to Alaska. I always wondered what I missed. Thanks.
Sep 17th, 2004, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the trip report. Did you enjoy the state fair? We were at the fairgrounds in June for a different event. Certainly a spectacular view. We seem to see the Turn Again Arm at low tide. Lucky you to see some whales!
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Yes,we did enjoy the fair.the vegetables were amazing to see and we checked out the vendors and bought a few things. alaska's such an amazing state.

Search this Thread