Alaska September 2021

Old Aug 28th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska September 2021

Aloha! My family and I land in Fairbanks Sept. 19th and leave out of Anchorage Monday morning, Sept. 27th. We have the first couple days in Fairbanks planned more or less (look for northern lights and go to hot springs) but I was hoping you can please help me with the remaining days. After Fairbanks, we would like to explore the south central area.

Beginning in Anchorage on Wednesday, Sept. 22nd, should we head to Homer, stay for one night, then spend the next few days in Seward/Kenai Peninsula etc.? Then the day before our flight, head back to Anchorage, so Seward to Girdwood to Anchorage?

Or should we do the opposite - beginning the 22nd, go from Anchorage to Sweard/Kenai Peninsula for a few days, then go down to homer for one night, then drive all the way up from Homer to Anchorage?

Or do you suggest a different round trip to/from Anchorage? We'll get to Anchorage from Fairbanks late Tuesday, Sept. 21st, and will be ready to begin on our south central road trip the next morning. And then we are departing from Anchorage the 27th in the morning. So we have the 22nd - 26th all day to explore!

Thank you so much for your time!!!
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 03:36 AM

Will Denali be open when you are there? I would guess the tundra might still be in beautiful fall color.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

No, the tours will already have stopped by end of September unfortunately. Do you have experience or advice for the south central area? Wondering which route is best and how many days we should stay in each place.

Thank you!
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 08:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What do you plan to do/see in the various Kenai Peninsula destinations? While Homer is certainly located in a beautiful setting, the drive to and from Homer down the peninsula is not particularly inspiring (some nice parts to be sure) and the drive can frequently take longer than the (optimistic) times quoted by the likes of Google. Without knowing what you plan to do with your time there, I'd be inclined to drop Homer and spend more time between Anchorage and Seward.

You might also think about visiting someplace like Hatcher Pass and the Independence Mine historical site outside Palmer north of Anchorage, or maybe a glacier cruise out of Whittier, for example. Or visit the old mining village of Hope on the south side of Turnagain Arm... But let us know what your plans are for the Kenai and maybe we can be more helpful.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by gigikins
No, the tours will already have stopped by end of September unfortunately. Do you have experience or advice for the south central area? Wondering which route is best and how many days we should stay in each place.

Thank you!
If it has not snowed, you can actually self-drive Denali this year as far as Mile 30. The Road Lottery was cancelled so the road is open to anyone.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvis...der-season.htm

You'll also find some lookouts from the Parks Highway as you drive between Fairbanks and Talkeenta.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 07:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a friend who lives in Alaska (many years). She informed me that the Eilson Visitor Center (MP66) got 4 inches of snow last week. There was a landslide earlier which kept the buses from reaching Eilson.
When on the Kenai Peninsula we stayed in Homer and did Seward as a day trip.
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

I am open to any ideas of what to do! That sounds like a good idea to drop Homer... So far in the Seward area, very interested in Kenai Fjord National Park, seeing the Exit Glacier, easy hikes, would love to see the sledding dogs, glacier landing helicopter ride, maybe kayak. I love nature of course. We have 5 full days for the south central area. Then the last night we would head to Anchorage, stay the night, and fly out the next morning. Would Seward be a good place (close to everything) to stay for a few nights to do all those things?

Thank you so much for your time!
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
What do you plan to do/see in the various Kenai Peninsula destinations? While Homer is certainly located in a beautiful setting, the drive to and from Homer down the peninsula is not particularly inspiring (some nice parts to be sure) and the drive can frequently take longer than the (optimistic) times quoted by the likes of Google. Without knowing what you plan to do with your time there, I'd be inclined to drop Homer and spend more time between Anchorage and Seward.

You might also think about visiting someplace like Hatcher Pass and the Independence Mine historical site outside Palmer north of Anchorage, or maybe a glacier cruise out of Whittier, for example. Or visit the old mining village of Hope on the south side of Turnagain Arm... But let us know what your plans are for the Kenai and maybe we can be more helpful.
I am open to any ideas of what to do! That sounds like a good idea to drop Homer... So far in the Seward area, very interested in Kenai Fjord National Park, seeing the Exit Glacier, easy hikes, would love to see the sledding dogs, glacier landing helicopter ride, maybe kayak. I love nature of course. We have 5 full days for the south central area. Then the last night we would head to Anchorage, stay the night, and fly out the next morning. Would Seward be a good place (close to everything) to stay for a few nights to do all those things?

Thank you so much for your time!