Alaska: RVers and Parent's Help Needed

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska: RVers and Parent's Help Needed

I've got a lot of "firsts" planned for our upcoming family vacation and can use all the advice I can get! My husband, daughter and I will be traveling to Alaska and renting an RV (Great Alaskan Holidays) from Sept. 9th-16th... This will be our first time to Alaska, first time renting/driving an RV (25ft.) and our daughter will be around 6 months old at the time (she's our first too - so we really don't know what a 6 mo. old is like until we actually get to Sept.).

I'm just starting to plot out our itinerary and would appreciate your feedback...

Sun. 09/09 - arrive ANC 12:39pm - would like to find a nice RV park as close to ANC as possible after a long flight (from SoCal)... suggestions welcomed...

Mon. 09/10 - drive to Seward with possible stops in Girdwood, Portage Glacier areas

Tues. 09/11 - 6 hr. Kenai Fjords boat tour

Wed. 09/12 - Exit Glacier and Sea Life Center

Thurs. 09/13 - drive to Homer

Fri. 09/14 - Homer, drive to Soldotna to visit with a family friend

Sat. 09/15 - drive to wherever we'll be staying for the night? Suggestions? - the RV will be due back in ANC between 7-9am...

Sun. 09/16 - return RV - overnight layover in Seattle to visit with family before 2nd leg back to Calif...

I'd especially appreciate specific RV Park recommendations as the USFS Campgrounds will be closed for the season as of 09/03/07... And advice on traveling with our new little girl?... should we bjorn her the whole time or pack the stroller along for the trip? All of my friends with kids say this is one of the best times to make a trip like this with her before she's super mobile... She's done great so far with her travels to date...

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Stay at Ship Creek Landings first nite - down the bluff from downtown Anchorage - it will be centrally located, relatively quiet and nice folks run it.
Leave early next morning. Girdwood is a resort town and Portage Glacier is worth a stop. Plan on at least 4 or 5 hours driving time to Seward - very pretty drive so you will want to stop for pictures plus deal with the little one.
Seward, either Miller's Landing (just south of Seward) or the one right on the beach in Seward (forgot name).
You have Seward covered for excursions.
I believe the Silver Salmon Fishing Derby will be over by your travel dates - you might google Seward to make sure that is the case.
Homer/Soldotna - I am confused. You will be backtracking by driving back to Soldotna after visiting Homer. No time in Homer? Is is a very beautiful location with lots of things to do. Mariner Park on the spit is the place to be - gravel pad site but location is everything. Think it is right next to the 'fishing hole' - there might be some yahoo's in here trying to catch fish so interesting to watch.
You have to have RV back by 9am Saturday? You had better plan on driving Friday night back to Anchorage or very near. There is a small campground (no facilities for RV) just south of town right on Turnagain Arm - run by state and I think you can pull a 25 ft through there. Or is Sunday due back?
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Tigerman,

Thank you for your reply... I've taken note of several of your recommends... Fishing Derby in Seward will be done in August so we'll be okay there.

I'm confused about backtracking to Soldotna - from my map it appears we'll have to go thru Soldotna on our way to and from Homer, so I didn't think it would make a difference if we stopped on our way in or out? So Far we have Homer planned for most of the day Thurs. and most of the day Friday, so hopefully that will be enough time to take in the town, if not, we may have to rework the itinerary a bit.

Is the state park you mentioned outside of ANC perhaps Bird Creek Camground? Oh, and we have to have the RV back in ANC on Sun. 09/16 by 9am - sorry for the confusion.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Coryancarissa,

Sounds like a fun trip for you.

Traveling in RV with 6 month old is no problem. Just means be prepared for frequent stoppages. The route you are planning is what most people who come to Alaska do. Very few roads (the Homer/Soldotna backtrack reference) and distances are not like lower 48 distances - meaning you typically drive slower because of the scenery and they are almost all two lane roads.

Personally, I would not dally in Soldotna at the expense of Homer - but you have friends there so that makes sense.

Fred Meyer's or Carr's are our grocery stores - both have excellent selections. Suggest you bring either a stroller (the kind with the big front tire as you will be walking trails) or a kid backpack. You can buy either one of those here in town. There is a store that sells that stuff used.

Bring layers of clothing and lightweight raingear as it may be raining while you are here and the nights will be cool.

Bring binoculars for wildlife.

Homer is in a beautiful location - Alaskans' say it is in the 'banana belt' since winters are not so harsh down that way. Lots of folksy artists live there. It is fun area to walk the beach, tinker around town, take a boat tour, etc.

Yes, it is Bird Creek campground that I was referring to just south of town. I believe it is state run - nothing there but sites.

Walking around Anchorage is a nice 1/2 day diversion should you find yourself stuck before your flight out.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 04:38 PM

We made it from Florida in one piece but without a 6mo.old. By the time you get to the RV place & go through training it will be later in the afternoon. Find & drive to a Fred Meyer grocery, buy your necessities ( sticker shock )and stay there for the evening FREE. The next morning drive to Exit Glacier, then into Seward. Visit the fishing docks & see the Large Halibut, Ling Cod & other fish people bring in. Nice little fish & chips place across the street. Rays on the water is expensive. The city of Seward has RV campsites on the water. Over the 4th of July we paid $12 per nite. Sealife Center is interesting. When you head out, you will turn left & go through Soldotna on your way to Homer. Nice Fred Meyer there w/FREE overnight parking but you can make Homer easily that day. Camp sites on the Spit ran $25 a nite. Soldatna either to or from Homer. In Porterage there is an excellent wildlife refuge for about $5 that you can drive through & stop when you want to see all kinds of animals. Take a good camera with lots of memory cards.Drive into Anchorage the night before to Fred Meyer & pack. tomorrow will be a long day. You will love it.