Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Alaska--make arrangements independently or use a travel agency?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've developed a pretty good idea of the things we'd like to do over a 10-day trip to Alaska, but I'm wondering if most people book it all themselves or or use a tour company like Alaska travel? Any advice? Does a tour company offer significant savings?

We're tentatively thinking that we'll drive Anchorage to Seward and Homer(?), take the ferry to Valdez (probably from Whittier) and then drive the Richardson/Denali Hwys to Denali. We'll finish back in Anchorage, probably with a stop for flightseeing in Talkeetna.

Thanks
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I sure wouldn't bother with a travel agency for that trip - it's simple enough that you can easily do it yourself online or by phone. Doing it yourself will be much cheaper in all liklihood.

One thing, though - your rental car agency probably won't let you drive the Denali Highway due to its condition and absence of facilities. You'll need to add a few hours to your planning to go up to Fairbanks to double back to Denali, if that's your plan.

Get a copy of the Milepost for trip planning, phone numbers, all that. That and email and a phone is virtually all you'll need to plan your adventure.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:33 AM

I never use any booking agents myself. I prefer direct contact with B&B's, tours for the first hand information on tour/time/price. etc. As mentioned above- very simple for your "route", and correct- none of the major rentals will allow driving on the Denali Highway. I rented from an independent a few years ago that allowed it- I essentially signed my life away- and it is very necessary to purchase all their extra coverage as my auto insurance and credit card coverages were void on this road. Verify this directly with your insurance.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM

Julie:

I concur with the two Alaska experts above. BTW, thanks to both of you for your invaluable help and guidance for my trip.

Julie, I went to Alaska***SOLO*** for a month last year. I planned every single inch, booked every single night, every delicious reataurant, and booked all my own excursions.

I of course relied on my Fodors, Frommers and took some of the advice, suggestions and experience of those who had gone before me.

Would love to share my Trip Report if you want.

Happy Travels,
Oaktown Traveler

p.s. I am a married "girl" and mom... if that helps.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 02:40 PM

I agree with the above post that suggested you purchase " The Milepost."
That book was so worth the money and helped us plan the perfect trip.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:51 AM

Oaktown Traveler, how do we get copy of your trip?
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, for the input. Oaktown traveler--I'd love to see a copy of your trip report.

By the way, can anyone provide any advice on how far ahead we need to start making reservations? I'm most concerned about the big tours like our Kenai Fjords cruise and the Mt. McKinley flightseeing, but also about hotels. For cost reasons, we'll probably need to stick with B&B's.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:46 PM

Julie,

Thanks to the advice we received on Fodor's, we made reservations for the Kenai Fjords cruise the day before the trip when we got into Seward. This allowed some flexibility in the event of bad weather.Talking to the the folks there, I got the feeling that there is almost aways some availability. BTW we were there in early July.

On the otherhand, we did book our ferry reservations from Whittier to Valdez quite early, especially because we knew the day we had to do the trip regardless of weather.

I've always booked our own trips, and with a bit of research, you can easily do this one.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:01 PM

I will try and get that Trip Report produced soon!

SMILE....

Oaktown Traveler

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:18 PM

One piece of advice... allow yourself adequate time for connections, if necessary!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:01 AM

If taking the car on the ferry- definately book ahead, even though the small Bartlett has been replaced (and sold on Ebay ) Space for vehicles is limited.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:14 AM

I agree...by doing the planning yourself you will be able to do more for the same price, or save money. The Milepost is very helpful, however, I'd also recommend researching on the internet as much as possible ahead of time. We've been to alaska several times and when we did a road trip, found that many of the "charming" pictures of "lodges" in the milepost were places we were afraid to stop at when we got there! Have fun!
Natalie
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:38 AM

The Trip Report kinda got put on the back burner...I have wife and mom duties... I hope to work on it this Super Bowl Weekend!

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler