Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Alaska lodging: Girdwood, Anchorage or where? Advice please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/alaska-lodging-girdwood-anchorage-or-where-advice-please-592527/)

cactexas Feb 19th, 2006 04:09 PM

Alaska lodging: Girdwood, Anchorage or where? Advice please!

We arrive in Anchorage at 8:30 pm; the next day we take a Renown Kenai Fjords boat trip at 11:00 am. Should we spend that 1st night in Anchorage or Girdwood or ideas for somewhere else? I'm not seeing much lodging in Girdwood...we want to spend $100 or $125 max. Isn't Seward ~2.5 hrs from Anchorage? Your suggestions would be most appreciated!

visormom Feb 19th, 2006 05:48 PM

Howdy fellow Texan....Knowing what I know now, I would split the trip by going onto Girdwood or Moose Pass area. It does seem silly, however, to pay $$$ for such a quick overnight stay. We stayed at the Aleyska (and the rooms would equate to those of a Marriot Courtyard)..no big deal. However, the area surrounding the hotel is very nice, and I think that's what we paid for. That being said, you don't have the time to enjoy that...so hopefully, someone else can advise you someplace else to stay. If you decide to overnight in Anchorage, I would recommend the Glacier Brewhouse (downtown Anchorage). Our family loved it! At the turnoff to Girdwood, there is a gas station/small shopping area...stop at the bakery for absolutely wonderful baked goods...and sandwiches....terrific. Any questions, don't hesitate to email me...good luck (Go Tech...:)

Gardyloo Feb 19th, 2006 07:22 PM

I think you'll find your price point is a little to low for many places; there might be some bed and breakfasts that will work for you, but in peak season you won't find a lot.

A couple of thoughts - first, in summer be aware that it will be full sun until much later than you're used to - in July, for instance, until 10 or 11, and light enough to drive until midnight. So if you want to get to Girdwood you can do so easily, and in fact the drive from the airport will knock your eyeballs out - you'll know you're in Alaska and that's for sure.

On the other hand, you'll be on Texas clocks still, so if you want to stay in Anchorage you shouldn't have a hard time getting up early enough to make the drive (around 2.5 hours) in time to get there before you sail, but if it were me I'd get the 45-min. head start in Girdwood (i.e. 1.5 hrs to Seward more or less.) Start the next morning with a cinammon roll at the bakery in the (old) Alyeska lodge - fuel (and sugar) enough to face the road.

npurpleh2 Feb 19th, 2006 07:32 PM

If you are going in summer then you will have great light for driving well into the evening. It may be more of a hassle to do the drive on the day you arrive in Anchorage but it is less risky than doing the drive on the day you have the boat trip scheduled for the morning. It is a great drive and the time will pass before you know it.

dfrostnh Feb 20th, 2006 04:25 AM

Just make sure your reservations can be cancelled at the last minute. I hate to mention it but your flight could be delayed and you won't get in until later. Also figure between waiting for baggage and getting your rental car, you might not be on the road until 10pm or so. It depends on how well you do late in the day. We're early morning people so I would stay in Anchorage and get an early start the next day. Keep in mind, Anchorage is a big city with a lot of commuter traffic but once you're on the Seward Hwy, it should be easy going.

Pat2003 Feb 20th, 2006 05:14 AM

Make easy for yourself and stay first night in Anchorage. The next morning leave early for Seward. Have a great time in Alaska

sfg Feb 20th, 2006 12:17 PM

We are taking the same flight in July (from Austin) and have decided to overnight in Anchorage. We booked the Extended Stay Suites for $120./night - AAA. It's a new hotel, located midtown - part of Aspen Hotels.

BayouGal Feb 20th, 2006 02:50 PM

That's a tough call! We flew from Louisiana and didn't arrive until midnight, and by the time our hotel van took us on a little pre-tour of Anchorage and we got settled in it was about 2:30 AM. Of course, we were so awestruck by the view and the light outdoors, we wouldn't have slept much that first night regardless. If you are night owls like us, you might want to go ahead and pick up the rental car and head out towards Seward. Surely someone can recommend a good B & B around Girdwood for the overnight. We spent the first night in Anchorage at the Ramada on Muldoon, then the van took us to get our rental the next morning and we headed out to sightsee the Sterling Hwy to Seward.

Good luck with your planning! :)

cactexas Feb 21st, 2006 01:00 PM

Thanks all for your great advice! I think we will probably drive on to Girdwood...we are not going until Aug. 24th, but I'm thinking the days will still be longer with light than here. I found some more lodgings in Girdwood also. I appreciate all of your responses! P.S. to visormom...we're from Austin, but I'll take Tech over UT anyday! :-)