Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

alaska kenai peninsula places to stay for fishing.

Old Apr 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I are going to the Kenai peninsula for fishing. We can spend 6 days in one place or 3 days in two different places. What places do you recommend. There is Cooper's Landing, Soldotna, Homer, Seward and Kenai. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed along the Kenai River in Soldotna at Krogs Kamp. Not cheap but a great location, accommodations, food and hosts. They booked us for fishing expeditions and also fun touristy trips to Seward and charter flight over the Harding Ice Field.

Would stay with them again.

http://www.krogskamp.com/
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 09:35 AM

We went halibut and salmon fishing out of Homer and it was great. I think the daily halibut limit in Homer is higher than Seward... in Homer each fisherman can land 2 halibut per day, in Seward I think its only one.

We absolutely loved our day on the sixpack charter out of Homer. And its a beautiful area as well, a nice base for a few days.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Are you searching for ocean fishing for halibut and salmon, or stream fishing for salmon and trout etc?
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

We would mostly like to do stream fishing for salmon and then move to a place where we can catch halibut in the ocean.
Thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Not sure exactly what you are wanting to do.
We enjoyed a fly out fishing trip to Wolverine Creek.
We used http://www.highadventureair.com/

We saw 20+ bears and just about as many bald eagles. It would have been nearly impossible to not have caught your limit.

It will all depend on what you are wanting to fish for as to when you go. Even Salmon have different runs thru the year. Kings, sockeye, silver, etc run at different times. Halibut fishing is an entirely different event. We saw many fishing for Salmon on the Kenai River. You can just do this yourself and it would much less expensive. I don't think guides can guide on Mondays(i think thats the day). There is 1 day a week that guiding is not allowed on the Kenai River. I should say we nearly hit a grizzly bear in our car. He was crossing the road headed right towards a group fishing on the Kenai River. Not sure who was scared the most- us, the bear, or the people fishing.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 05:58 PM

We would mostly like to do stream fishing for salmon ...

Cooper's Landing is the best place for big kings of the places on your list, at least at the right times ... but crowded because everyone loves fishing for big kings ...

... and then move to a place where we can catch halibut in the ocean.

I'd pick Homer or Seward, from your list. Personally I've enjoyed stays at both places multiple times so can't help you decide between them; if you can fit it in maybe do 2 days Homer, 2 days CL, 2 days Seward, so you are kinda heading back to ANC. They are not THAT far apart driving-wise and are very different in character.

If you are firm about the 3-3 split (which makes a lot of sense, moving less often) then I guess either one would work fine.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Well it has been four years since I posted the above. We loved Homer and Seward. Should we do the same trip again or should we explore fishing north of Anchorage or any other places? My son is an adult and a great fisherman so we don't need kid friendly spots.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 02:14 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
When? Month makes a difference.
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

I am looking at July or early August, Which is better? Should Soldotna be considered?
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:08 PM

July is something of a transitional month in most rivers on the Kenai. There can be plenty of red salmon (Sockeye) in the rivers, leading to famous "combat fishing" scenes along, e.g., the Russian River near Cooper Landing, and there can still be some kings (Chinook) in the Kenai River itself, and in places like Deep Creek. But it's not a sure thing, and if the kings aren't present and/or if the reds aren't biting, you can spend a lot of hours and money chasing Rainbows and Dolly Varden. That's not all bad, but probably not what you want to go to Alaska for.

If it was me (and it has been quite a few times) I'd head to Seward and go salmon and halibut fishing in Resurrection Bay, in August before the Salmon Derby starts (Aug. 13 this year.) The silvers (Coho) out of Seward are fabulous fighters, they're usually plentiful, and you haven't seen more beautiful fish.

There are also halibut boats that work out of Seward if that interests. Plus, Cooper Landing is only an hour away, so if the local word (any sports or tackle shop will know this instantly) is that there's good sport on the Kenai River, you can buzz up there at O-dark thirty (which it won't be in the summer anyway) and hit the river for a day.

North of Anchorage the pickings in that part of the year get more complicated, and some of the fresh water streams tend to get fish that have lost the ocean brightness. Most of my salmon fishing around Anchorage and Turnagain and Knik Arms took place in late August to early September, when the last of the silvers were arriving. And farther north, in the Susitna basin, many of the salmon are getting pretty gnarly by the end of August.
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Should I spend the full week at Seward or should we also go somewhere else?
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:35 AM

Should I spend the full week at Seward or should we also go somewhere else?

Do you want to do more than fish?
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:13 PM

We did halbut fishing out of Ninilchik. click on my name and you can find my trip report about it.