Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Alaska Itinerary - Seward/Kenai Fjords/Denali then...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. Very excited to take the trip of a lifetime with my parents this July, and happy to be crossing off our 41st (mine) and 48/49th US States off the list.

For those who have traveled to Alaska before, would love to pick your brains. We have 9 total travel days, and have booked the following route:

Days 1 - 3: fly into ANC; take Alaska Railroad to Seward; most likely a boat cruise into Kenai Fjords National Park (thoughts on boat cruise vs. hiking Exit Glacier?)
Day 4: pick up rental car, make way back up north, explore along way, overnight lodging in Talkeetna (suggestions for best route from Seward to Talkeetna, things to do along way?)
Days 5 - 7: Denali National Park - staying at the Perch 2 nights, 1 at Grande Denali; most likely spend first day exploring first 15 miles in with own car, then shuttle second two days; other suggestions?
Days 8 - 10: TBD!*

*Here's where we need your help! What to do after Denali NP? Tack another day on to Denali, head north to Fairbanks, or another itinerary we haven't searched?

We love hiking and exploring, especially finding off-beaten paths. Fans of seafood, wine and beer and the National Parks so food/drink suggestions also welcome.
Will note that this is the most organized trip we've been on in years - usually just book a flight and GO, so some spontaneity may occur. But perhaps planned spontaneity this time, as it is Alaska.

Cheers.
Old Jun 5th, 2014, 11:13 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Skip the train to Seward and drive it instead. You can stop and gawk, take the spur road to Hope (old mining village on the south shore of Turnagain Arm) and maybe have a late breakfast or lunch in Girdwood. A one-way rental car from Seward to Anchorage will cost a fortune compared to picking up and returning to Anchorage.

Definitely the Kenai Fjords cruise over Exit Glacier, although the two aren't incompatible. If you REALLY want glaciers, take a glacier cruise out of Whittier - less wildlife than Kenai Fjords, more ice, and much calmer waters.

I'm a broken record on this, but if at all possible get off the road system while you're visiting. My biggest recommendation - you might be surprised by the net cost compared to a night in a hotel someplace, plus the extra day's car rental - would be to hop a flight to Kotzebue, a native village above the arctic circle and on the Arctic Ocean, to experience midnight sun, a fascinating culture, and a side of Alaska most visitors never experience. Round trip flights from Anchorage are around $330, and a comfortable hotel in Kotz will cost around the same as one in Anchorage. No car for those two days, so you can do the math.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 01:34 AM

Suggest Independence Mine coming or going to Talkeetna. Very nice restoration of mining town. Hiking available. Imagine building a town in that area.

There's a small transportation museum in Wasilla. Quite a bit of information on early bush pilots. It's NOT a classic car museum.

Moose's Tooth in Anchorage for beer and view. It's on the Seward Highway so an easy stop as you travel thru. There's really only one road from Seward to Talkeetna. Plenty to do between Seward and Anchorage (tram up Alyeska and hike?) so I agree with gardyloo about driving instead of taking the train. I liked the museum in Portage. Listen to the recordings of what the earthquake was like. Pay attention to the changes in topography because of earthquake in Anchorage and Portage. Note which roads were built by the govt for military defense.

Each town in AK seems to have its own personality. If you have a couple of days unplanned, I would include Homer. It's on the other side of the peninsula from Seward. The Pratt Museum is small but outstanding. See video on homesteading in Homer (about the time my parents were moving to suburbia). Overheard a visitor talking to docent that he had a chance to move to AK and didn't. Sounded kind of sorry.

Except for smoked salmon, I wasn't real crazy about fish and seafood in AK. Thought deep fried halibut was pretty good but on our last trip we didn't eat in restaurants very often since we were staying with family. Heading north, there won't be any restaurants after you drive past Wasilla until you get to Talkeetna. Might be a good idea to get the Milepost because gas stations and restaurants are pretty scarce except in towns.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with skipping the train. Make sure to take the longer tours of the fjords, 6 hours or more. For this, the longer the better. Bring a lot of money as things are expensive and driving times take longer than you expect.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:03 PM

What time do you arrive in Anchorage on day 1? Are you spending the night in Anchorage?

If you don't have a car rented yet, you will be shocked at the rental rates. If you really want to take the train to Seward, I have heard that you can save on the cost by renting the car one way/one day from Seward to Anchorage and then booking another car for the remainder of your trip. We drove to Seward and the drive is beautiful. It is basically the same route that the train takes.

You mention that you are hikers. We loved the Kenai Fjords National Park cruise but we also loved the hike above Exit Glacier to the Icefields. It is a spectacular hike with fabulous views. If you have 2 nights in Seward you can do them both.

Coming back from Denali you could do the Independence Mine area. There are hikes there. You could also do the Matanuska Glacier trek. We loved staying at the Matanuska Lodge but I also read great reviews for nearby cabins. (Maybe Sheep Mountain Lodge??)

Travelling to Alaska is a trip where you have to do some advance planning. You have a bit more flexibility when renting a motorhome. We visited for the first time last summer. I posted a trip report. It may be of some help to you. Click on my name above to find it.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks! My prior research indicates everything ya'll have mentioned. Our car, hotels and rental car are already booked, so there you go! Mom has always wanted to take the railroad so we'll give it to her. Definitely thinking we will do the Exit Glacier hike the afternoon we get in, and the fjords cruise the next. Sounds wonderful!

Still debating post-Denali days, as none of that is booked yet. The suggestions you provided are great. Big thanks!