Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   alaska itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/alaska-itinerary-548928/)

freespirit61 Aug 3rd, 2005 08:25 AM

alaska itinerary

I am traveling to Alaska with my dad and need some input with travel plans. Thanks in advance..Heres my plans so far.
Saturday August 27-arrive late in Fairbanks Pick up rental car (one way) Payless car rental;Currently have two nights at Fairbanks Princess Lodge.
Sunday August 28- Fairbanks-Gold Dredge #8 tour and possible Riverboat Cruise.
Monday August 29-I am considering the day trip to arctic circle fly-drive please give advice;anyone done it.If we take this will spend night in Fairbanks
Tuesday August 30-open day ? check out Chena Hot Springs and overnight there..
Wednesday August 31-Drive from Chena via Richardson Hwy to Copper Ctr.Any neat things to see on the way? Stay Copper Center Princess Lodge two nights
Thursday Sept.1-trip to Kennecott Mine overnight Copper Princess. Drive to Valdez
Friday Sept.2- Valdez-two nights at Best Western-check out museum-take 3-4 mile hike- recommendations welcomed
Saturday Sept.3-Stan Stephens Glacier Cruise weather permitting
Sunday Sept.4-Ferry from Valdez to Whittier
Monday Sept. 5-Drive to Kenai Stay at Kenai Princess two nights
Tuesday Sept 6-Hike to Russian River Falls
Wednesday Sept 7-Drive to Homer Two night in Homer
Thursday Sept. 8-Danny J to Halibut Cove
Friday Sept.9-Leave Homer; drive to Anchorage stop at Double Musky for dinner
Saturday Sept.10-Fly to Brooks Lodge
Sunday Sept. 11-Brooks Lodge
Monday Sept.12-Return to Anchorage from Brooks Lodge. Fly home on red eye flight.
I appreciate everyone's help and experience.I have not been to Fairbanks and don't know if I have allotted enough or too much time. My dad wants to go see gold mines so any input on this topic is needed.I have a toursaver book and will use it when available. Last year we went to Seward and didn't feel we had enough time to go to Homer and Seward this trip. Thaks Again...

BudgetQueen Aug 3rd, 2005 09:13 AM

You have picked all Princess lodges?? Far better more reasonable lodging usually available in my opinion, and certainly more "real Alaska" The problem with these properies is the endless drop off and pick up of tours, hoards of people clogging lobbies, noise etc.

I assume you are using the toursaver for the lodging??? In Sept. rates are usually good booking otherwise, I have never found any deals with toursaver lodging. :)

The Arctic circle fly drive to Coldfoot is a great tour, especially with the coupon. 12 hours leaves at 1pm back at 1am.

Valdez vistor web site has printable hiking guides.

For me Chena Hot Springs is only OK, better with the former management. This would be the place to use the toursaver, possible northern lights. Take old swimwear, has a bad habit of turning funky colors.

jtrandolph Aug 3rd, 2005 02:02 PM

Not going to Denali ?

freespirit61 Aug 3rd, 2005 04:13 PM

BudgetQueen,
I have coupons for the Princess Lodges but I am open to suggestions on lodging. Any other hot springs you recommend for a dip?? Thanks for the input on the Arctic Circle fly-drive. I'll do that. Any advice on Stan Stephens Valdez Tour or must do's in Homer? How long is the drive back from Homer to Anchorage? Thanks for your input. You helped me out last year also and the advise is awesome.

jrandolph, I love Denali and took my dad there last year but he wanted to explore somewhere different this time. Thanks for the comment...

BudgetQueen Aug 4th, 2005 03:41 AM

Drive Homer/Anchorage is 4 hours, consider a meal stop at Gwin's in Cooper Landing. No other easily accessable hot springs that I know of?

I went with Stan Stephen's last year, and it was an excellent tour, plenty of see otters right outside of Valdez and eagles too. A great opportunity for Columbia Glacier which calves off building size ice. Can't get close however. Homer has plenty to consider request their visitor guide http://www.homeralaska.org/

Consider usage of toursaver coupons there.

As for lodging, factor if the Princess properties are a deal?

freespirit61 Aug 4th, 2005 05:06 AM

BudgetQueen, Thanks for your time and input. Yes, the Princess Lodges are a good deal;Fairbanks$109.00 nite;Copper and Kenai-Buy one get one free;I will stop at Gwins.Thanks Again!!!

jtrandolph Aug 4th, 2005 08:18 AM

In Homer is a small museum where they have (or at least HAD when we were there) a very interesting exhibit on the Valdez oil spill. You will have to ask where it is, it is not obvious.

Have a great trip.

oleg Aug 4th, 2005 09:26 AM

Homer museum refered to is Pratt museum located on Pioneer Street. I also think it is worth visiting. Homer has mounts of activities. The list below is far from complete:
1. Whale watching with "Rainbow Tours" - not just whales, lots of other wildlife and scenic too.
2. Halibut Cove village with lunch at Saltry.
3. Boat trip accross Kachemak Bay and hike to Grenwick Glacier.
4. Sea kayaking with Augustine
5. Visit Russian churches not far from Homer
6. Homer Spit and beach combing Bishop Beach

I would add a bear trip, but you already going to Brooks Lodge. So, enjoy fishing bears there.
Alaska is a crown, and Kenai peninsula is its brightest jem. My Kenai gallery:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/621264

Lina Aug 4th, 2005 02:12 PM

Be aware that Thursday is "locals night" at the Saltry. Residents can go there for 1/2 price. We missed out on the Saltry while in Homer because Thursdays are booked weeks in advance. Who knew?

freespirit61 Aug 7th, 2005 01:01 PM

Everyone, Thank You so much for the feedback. I'll post my experience when I get back. Thanks again.