Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Alaska - info for a day out of Anchorage
Notices

Alaska - info for a day out of Anchorage

Jan 11th, 2014, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Alaska - info for a day out of Anchorage

After a 12 day small boat cruise from Ketchikan to Sitka my husband and I are flying onto Anchorage for 5 days. We plan to do a 3 day tour to Denali and will have a day in Anchorage. Not sure how to spend the last day. We will have seen glaciers/ fiords and amazing wildlife on the cruise. Any suggestions on what we should see on our extra day would be very much appreciated. We are from Australia. Thanks
Jan 11th, 2014, 02:44 PM

The small boat cruises get great reviews. Someday, I would love to take one.

In Anchorage, we did enjoy biking the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. There are also some nice trails nearby.

You could rent a car and drive part of the Seward Highway. The drive toward Seward along the Turnagain Arm is beautiful and there are a few trails along the way.

You could stop in Girdwood. The Alyeska Ski Resort is there. You can take the tram to the top. There are several very nice hikes in Girdwood. The Double Musky in Girdwood is a very famous restaurant that has wonderful food. They don't take reservations and there is always a long wait. I'm told that the wait is worth it, but my husband wouldn't wait. No need to dress up.

Search this Thread