Search

Philadelphia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philadelphia

I'm going to be in Philadelphia for a few days soon for a conference and will have one afternoon free. Any recommendations about what would be easy to get to near the convention center? I like art and history -- this is my first time to Philadelphia. Hotel is near Reading Terminal so I'm looking to eat meals there. Sounds like a wonderful place but wondered if it will be more deserted in January. Thanks for any tips.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 08:28 AM

Philadelphia is a bustling, lived-in city. While the tourist numbers are likely lower in January, it will be far from deserted as there are plenty of locals and people in the city on business that break life into Center City Philadelphia. I think the Philadelphia Museum of Art is where you should head as it is one of the best I've seen; the museum is within reasonable walking distance of Reading Terminal Market.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 09:30 AM

The art museum is great, but if it were my first time to Philadelphia I'd want to see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.

~Liz
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 10:03 AM

Another vote for Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 10:27 AM

#3 for independence hall and liberty bell - if you have even the slightest interest in our country's past.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 10:45 AM

http://www.barnesfoundation.org/
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 10:49 AM

I see you have ONE afternoon free. Given that limitation, as much as I love the art museum, I have to also cast my vote for Independence Hall.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 11:07 AM

> will have one afternoon free
> I like art and history --

You have a choice -- Independence Hall, and a walk by the Liberty Bell before that, OR the Art Museum. You won't have time for both, so don't try.

For history, Independence Hall is absolutely unsurpassed.
For art, the Art Museum is surpassed, but not by many places!

If you choose the former, note the rules for entrance, and be aware that the Rangers will NOT make exceptions.
http://www.nps.gov/inde/planyourvisi...ndencehall.htm

You stated that you are visiting "soon." If this means "before March," then you don't need to make an advance reservation for your tour.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Amy

Hmmmm...are you sure you don't want to stretch that free time and stay a bit longer? Or do you perhaps have evenings free and could go to the Museum of Art on a Wednesday evening, or the Barnes (unique indeed) on a Friday PM?

For a history afternoon, in addition to Independence Hall/Liberty Bell there is a lot more in the general area: the Portrait Gallery at the Second Bank is a great spot to combine history and art, Franklin Court is newly reopened, and there is Carpenters' Hall, the Todd house, and much more in very easy walking distance. (Some places are only open Wednesday to Sunday, so do check here: http://www.nps.gov/inde/planyourvisit/index.htm )