Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Alaska info (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/alaska-info-201271/)

Goatman Apr 17th, 2002 06:40 AM

Alaska info

I'm planning a trip for late August to Alaska. Hopefully you can help me with some questions.<BR><BR>1. Hiking. Is there a web site or recommended book for hiking options in Anchorage/Mat-Su Valley/Homer/Seward?<BR><BR>2. B&Bs or hotel suggestions in Talkeetna?<BR><BR>3. Kayaking. Any recommendations or location preference? (We'll be travelling Anchorage to Seward and Homer.)<BR><BR>4. Flightseeing. We'll be using Talkeetna as our launching pad. Are most of the companies the same (is price the only difference from company to company)? Any recommedations? <BR><BR>5. I've heard great things about the Kenai Fjords. Is it best to experience by boat?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.<BR><BR>Goatman

elaine Apr 17th, 2002 06:47 AM

Re: Alaska excursions. I realize you are taking a land trip, but suggest you visit Cruise Critic (Port Excursions). Click on "Alaska"; there are some very well-informed posters with lots of experience re: independent excursions. <BR>You may also want to post your Talkeetna b&b/hotel question. The folks on that board have a wealth of knowledge. <BR>Have a wonderful vacation!

Alaska Fan Apr 17th, 2002 12:04 PM

Been to Alaska on two 3-week trips in the past couple years (last time was last August.) Don't have time to write much now, but wanted to tell you you MUST go on a "bear trip" out of Homer with Ken and Chris Day. They put you on a float plane for an hour and fifteen minutes or so and take you to a place where there's tons of bears and no people (NOT the national park). (It's a whole day affair.) Their office is located on Homer Spit. There's a bunch of companies along there, but there's is the best. (One of their competitors even admitted as much to me!)As long as you're not an older person with failing health, the Days are the people you gotta go with. Chris Day is the naturalist featured in the current IMAX movie, BEARS. (Her husband, Ken, flies the plane.) If you can see that movie near you, you'll know exactly what to expect. I live in Houston and it's showing here. Don't go with the other guys who just drop you off at the national park and you're surrounded by park guides and have to stay on certain paths, etc. It costs $500 or so per person, but it's the best money I've spent on any vacation I have ever taken (and I've been to Hawaii and done helicopter trips there that were awesome.) If you're interested let me know and I'll look through my vacation info and find their number. When we went we didn't have a reservation and had to wait 4 days to go with them, so you would definitely want a reservation. I'll check back later to see if you're interested in this.

Charlie Apr 17th, 2002 01:02 PM

Hey Goatman check out the site below...loads of great Alaska advice.<BR><BR>http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/O...44&f=268097554

KF Apr 23rd, 2002 08:46 AM

I spent 3 months (January, February, March) in Anchorage for business and managed to travel to Seward, Talkeetna, and Eagle River (alaska surburbia). It was gorgeous and I know you will love it. To try to answer your second question about the B&B or hotel in Talkeetna....I don't think there is very wide selection. When we visited there (in the dead of winter mind you) It didn't seem there was much to the town other than a post office, a general store and a roadhouse/restaurant. The roadhouse has some rooms for rent and their restaurant was really good. Mostly home cookin Alaska style. (Get the biscuits and reindeer gravy! delish!) I believe Talkeetna is a starting base for a lot of climbing expeditions on their way to Denali, so it seemed like most people camp or stay outside of Talkeetna. The town definitely has the "Frontier feel" and is charming! Sorry for the lack of information, but we were only there a day. I hope you have great vacation in the last frontier!