Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Alaska Day Cruise Suggestions - Want to See Calving Glaciers! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/alaska-day-cruise-suggestions-want-to-see-calving-glaciers-123740/)

Shelly May 13th, 2001 04:03 PM

Alaska Day Cruise Suggestions - Want to See Calving Glaciers!

I need advice concerning day cruises in Alaska out of Seward or Whittier. My mother and her husband will be meeting me in Anchorage for a first time visit to the area and they really want to see calving glaciers. Can anyone suggest a good tour company out of either of these areas that would provide good glacier viewing opportunity? I would love to hear of other people's experiences or advice. Thanks in advance.

rqf May 13th, 2001 05:33 PM

There is no guarantee that calving will occur when viewing a glacier. Having said that you can take a day trip out of Anchorage for a boat trip to Portage Glacier. It is not the largest of glaciers but you do get up close to the glacier. There are half day and full day boat tours to Kenai Fjords NP out of Seward. This is, primarily, a tour for viewing sea life but you do get to view glaciers as part of the tour.

Jean May 14th, 2001 05:05 AM

My husband and I (age 70) had a wonderful day trip in early September,1999, on 26 Glacier Cruise. (800)544-0529. We bought our tickets in Anchorage the day before, and made our own way to Whittier. The new catamaran made for a smooth ride, and the lunch they served before we departed kept motion sickness away.(money back guarantee on sea sickness) The cost was $119, each, plus tax. We especially wanted to enter College Fjord which is spectacular, and witnessed calving that sent our catamaran rocking. They served us glacier ice in our drinks. The partly overcast skies just accented the blue in the ice. Take a warm coat for when you are allowed out on deck when stopped, because you are very close to the glaciers. Seals and sea otters were the only wildlife we saw. Have a great trip--we did.

Barbara May 14th, 2001 06:04 AM

We took a half day tour out of Seward 2 years ago and had a great time - saw several calving glaciers. Plan on spending some time in Seward as well. It's a cute little town with fun shops and a great aquarium. Our boat was the Coastal Explorer (don't know the operators name). <BR> <BR>The drive out to Seward is beautiful as well. Have fun.

GOL May 14th, 2001 07:25 AM

I doubt you will see calving glaciers, but here is my experience. <BR> <BR>The Kenai Fjords Northwestern tour out of Seward provided a great glacier experience. The captain took us very close to several, shut off the engines and let us 'look & listen'. We did see some 'calving' but the boat could not be that close (like right underneath). We were probably 30 yards away - still very close. The ice was still in the water (on some glaciers, the retreat leaves no ice in the water, thus calving would not be possible). Things I won't forget: The intense sound of all the rushing water (small & large waterfalls near the ice, in an outside of the 'rock'), the icebergs (one patch had several seals), the true-blue color of ice. <BR> <BR>I would always recommend the Northwestern Fjord tour. <BR>

shelly May 14th, 2001 05:46 PM

Thank you to all who replied. The 26 Glacier cruise sounds pretty good...the money back guarantee on motion sickness is a bonus. Barbara, do you remember the tour company that you used in Seward? Does anyone else have any suggestions or experiences to share? Thanks again!

Barbara May 15th, 2001 05:43 AM

Kenai Fjords Tours - They have a nice website - www.kenaifjords.com