Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Alaska Cruise: Coral Princess or Norwegian sun?

Old Jan 12th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that the Norwegian sun goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.
They both start in Vancouver and the Sun ends in Seward while the Coral Princess ends in Whittier.
We are professionals , empty nesters.
Your input would be appreciated.
Our plan is spending several days post cruise touring on our own.
Thank-you.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 07:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you might want to re-post on Fodors' Cruise Forum -- and also check cruisecritic.com
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 03:31 AM

I can't compare them. all I can say is I liked the Coral princess very much. The crowd on board tended to be older, there were few children (although this was in early June while many schools are still in session).

I'm not sure if Whittier vs Seward makes a ton of difference, as they are not that far apart, and either makes a fine jumping off point for touring the Kenai Peninsula for a few days. I guess Seward has more to do, so theoretically can stay there for a couple days. We got off at Whittier and drove to Homer that day. We stayed in Seward for a couple nights later on.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 06:02 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can go to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard on the same boat, that's the one I'd choose. And yes, Seward is a good arrival point - you can do a Kenai Fjords cruise right on arrival - one of the best outings going - before heading north (into Anchorage) or south (toward Homer) for the rest of your trip. Note there's only one car rental office in Seward during the cruise season (Hertz) and one-way rates to Anchorage are steep. (Same goes for Whittier, except there it's Avis.)

Princess has been working Alaska a long time, and Whittier's not that bad an alternative. Instead of the Kenai Fjords on arrival, you could take a glacier tour (Phillips or Major Marine) which will put you in front of a bunch of tidewater glaciers around College Inlet or other parts of PW Sound.

When is the cruise? Note Seward is packed over the 4th of July for the Mt. Marathon race, and again in mid-August during the Silver Salmon Derby.
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 05:52 AM

I was looking on the Norwegean itinerary and I don't see them going to Glacier Bay. We are looking into booking a cruise also and we are thinking we would like to see Glacier Bay. I think only Holland and Princess goes to Glacier Bay. It will be nice whatever you choose.
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 06:26 AM

Go to Glacier Bay if at all possible. We cruised Holland American to Alaska and I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We cruised Royal Caribbean to Alaska and loved it.
My sister cruised with Princess to Alaska last summer and said she'd never go with Princess again. She said the food and entertainment were both below par.
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Look at budgetqueen's recommendations on cruisecritic. She takes several Alaskan cruises every summer. I know she always recommended the one way cruises from Vancouver that include Glacier Bay. Holland America and Princess Alaskan cruises get good reviews