Alaska by RV in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, we are planning a trip to alaska this september with our 18 month old daughter, perhaps arriving late august and staying for 2 1/2 weeks. Need advice about recommended RV rental agencys, have heard good things about Great Alaskan Holidays, but hope to get feedback from direct renters.
A couple other questions, we want to visit McCarthy and Kennecott mine ruin, anyone ever ventured that route in an RV, I've heard it is rough? Any must see camp grounds and areas not to be missed please let me know, our itinerary is currenty to spend 3-4 days in the Denali area, then drive to the Kenai Penn, and if time permits head over toward McCarthy and Kennicott.
Old May 5th, 2004, 06:56 AM

At this late date, it probably won't matter what company people recommend--you'll have to take whatever is left. I was in the same boat but after lots of calls and emails did get one.

I, and others, have posted lots of advice on campgrounds and things to do. Do a search and you'll find a wealth of info.
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Connie. Your right, Great Alaskan Holidays RV's are booked out.
I would appreciate any recommended RV renters, some tend to be less reliable, so would rather start with ones people have had good experience with. I had assumed that september would be much less busy up there, guess I was wrong. Perhaps we'll push our trip a bit later, but the denali park buses stop running on sept 16th, so we can't go much later.
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Later might not be an option. A lot of things start closing down by mid-September--especially things tourists want to do.

I've read about several good companies on this forum--try doing a search.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:34 PM

Sorry but there is NO way I would recommend taking a toddler on the Denali Park shuttles. They won't be able to tolerate it and will have NO interest in the trip. You have no way out if your child becomes disruptive and wildlife viewing demands silence in areas where they are close up animals. Most sightings are far off with binoculars required, again not appropriate for a toddler. NONE of the RV rentals are going to allow you driving on the McCarthy highway unless you sign your life away. Any supplemental insurance you may have will be void on the unpaved road. Fly in instead. By the second week of Sept- interior Alaska becomes more of a ghost town- state park camping is empty. If you do continue with an RV rental- be certain to add up all the extra charges- some add dumping/cleaning fees etc.
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

That is a good point about not taking a toddler on the denali park bus, are there any recommended alternatives to seeing the park? I suppose there isn't other than short day hikes in the park. Perhaps Denali isn't an appropriate destination with a toddler. Still we would like to see Mt McKinley and the Alaska Range, any recommended destinations in the area are welcome, perhap Denali STATE park would be a better option.
Also, since McCarthy seems off limits with an RV, are there any other abandon mining towns that can be visited? I'm a photographer and would like to spend a day or 2 photographing the old buildings and surrounding areas.
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:33 AM

You can drive about 16 miles into Denali Park- only a partial view of McKinley IF it is viewable- not likely however. Best views are out of Talkeetna or the pull offs on the Park Road mile 120-130 or so. The State park is primative at Beyers Lake- but if you park yourself there a few days- your chances of viewing McKinley increase. But frankly- don't get your hopes up- after all my trips I have only had full views 4 times with my recent March trip 2 of those. Consider Independence Mine- access from Palmer is fully paved. http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/indmine.htm

Also several mines around Fairbanks.
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:10 PM

I wouldn't recommend the state parks. Actually there are two Denali State Parks. One is primitive as BudgetQueen stated with no view of McKinnley. The other is literally a parking lot but has a fabulous view of McKinley.

If McKinnley (if out) is visible from the highway. You don't have to go into Denali to see it and I agree your child is much too young for an 8 hour bus ride.