Alaska - Brooks overnight vs. Day Trip

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska - Brooks overnight vs. Day Trip

Hi-
We're planning a trip to Alaska at the beginning of September. Our options are
1) an overnight at Brooks Lodge (arrive mid-day, spend the night, depart late the following afternoon, or
2) a day trip with a service such as Bald Mountain Air or Emerald Air.

We're leaning towards option 1, but are wondering if perhaps we'd have better odds of seeing bears with option 2 (i.e., if the bears aren't there, they fly somewhere else). Then again, we've heard that most of the day trips go to Brooks anyway, and September is a great time to visit the Brooks Falls area. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Toshi, we go on day trips with Emerald every year and at least once each summer. They never took us to Brooks Camp. Other companies fly people to Brooks, leave them with a ranger at the observation platform at the camp and pick them up that afternoon. So you are really on your own. Emerald flies only to "secret" secluded places in Katmai. When you are on a plane with Emerald you can spot bears from the plane before landing.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Now we're thinking of switching to July and doing 1 day trip to Brooks (to see the bears at the falls) and another day trip with Emerald. Has anyone been on the day trip to Brooks? Do you get significant time (i.e. at least a few hours) at the falls?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Significant time? I don't think so. First, you are on your own after a short briefing by a ranger, then you go to the end of the line and have about 20-30 minutes on a platform, then you wait in maybe even a longer line again. A whole process is repeated over and over again. So it depends on how many people are there that day. It can get crowded. Nonetheless, people who never tried any other options seems to enjoy this approach as well. Personally, I wouldn't do both trips but chose one and wait with the next options when visiting Alaska again. Of course, this is what I would do and recommend to my friends. YOU need to make your own decision
With Emerald we always see plenty of action while bears are fishing for salmon. It is so amazing to see that each bear has its own technique for getting fish.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 05:08 AM

I should add that if you are thinking about going with Emerald in July you should book your day trip very soon. I understand they already have some days in July/August fully booked. On the other hand there are many companies that fly to Brooks on day trips so I don't think you have to worry about not getting a seat with one of them.