Glacier NP vs Yellowstone/Grand Teton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a week-long trip in late Aug/early Sept to either Glacier or Yellowstone. Can anyone provide insight as to which they prefer? We enjoy the outdoors, scenery, day-hikes, etc.; and definitely smaller crowds.

Any advice would be appreciated
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM

For me it would be Yellowstone by a mile.

The crowds will be smaller in Sept, after Labor Day.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM

I'll throw my vote for Yellowstone too. We were there last year in late September and the crowds were not bad at all.
Yellowstone has such a great variety of things to see and do, like geysers, hot springs, mud pots, waterfalls, canyons, mountains, valleys, meadows and it's hard to go very far without seeing wildlife. There are plenty of easy hikes and photo opportunities.

Utahtea
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 04:24 AM

Another vote for YNP/Tetons, much for the reasons utahtea mentioned. Plus, the Tetons are some of the most beautiful mountains anywhere.

Just an aside - Glacier is very different from YNP/Tetons. There's very little redundacy between the 2 areas, so definitely keep Glacier on your list.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM
AlJ

I agree with Yellowstone but here's some things to consider. The road between Madison and Norris closes on August 17 to finish a construction effort. That seriously complicates travel on the west side. You can work around it though.

My favorite place to stay is Canyon due to the location. They close early this year too. August 30. I think closing for upgrades to some of the facilities. I like Roosevelt too but it closes september 7. That might actually work for you.

Here's a link to the NPS closing schedule.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...closedates.htm

None of that means you shouldn't go. It only means there are some considerations.

We have a lot of planning information on our website for Yellowstone. Specific planning info, interractive maps, sample itineraries, trip reports and a lot of pictures.

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/index.htm

You can see the links for both Yellowstone and Glacier on the left. There's some decent info on Glacier but not as much as YNP.

Here's a link to our map with estimated driving times.
http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/yello...ne_top_map.htm

Look where Madison and Norris are compared to Old Faithful. You won't be able to go that direction from Old Faithful. Doesn't matter much for seeing the geysers but to deal with it every day would be a nuisance til the road work is done. Look at Lake Hotel, Lake Lodge, Roosevelt and Mammoth for in park accommodations.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 01:21 PM

I have been to both parks more than once. Yellowstone has more diversity of landforms and more abundant wildlife. I have seen a grizzly in both parks, a wolf, sheep & goats at GNP, but you will see hundreds of animals at Yellowstone and some at GNP. Glacier is snowier, greener and less crowded. They are both wonderful destinations and you should see them both in your lifetime if you can, but I agree Yellowstone is a better choice if you haven't been to either.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM

I also have been to Yellowstone, Teton, and Glacier NP. It is so hard to choose between these.

Yellowstone - great thermal features + animals

Teton - The forest ranger said that there are more animals at this NP than the other national parks.

Glacier NP - three different ecosystems -- beach/rainforest/mountain

I liked Yellowstone the most because I love geysers. When I was at these three parks, I went on day hikes. I saw a lot of animals at Yellowstone and Teton, but not as much at Glacier.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Yellowstone/Tetons = hands down
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:23 AM

I think Shorty 68 accidentaslly confused Glacier for Olypic NP. I vote for Yellowstone. I have been to both several times. The downside to Glacier is that there is only one road through the park. it is spectacular but you will tire of it in a weeks time. Yellowstone and GTNP will provide plenty to do. Also, the town of Jackson is very cool.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:24 AM

We did both Glacier and Yellowstone/GTNP on a trip last year in Sept. Definitely would go with Yellowstone if I had to choose one due to the variety of things to see/do in the area. Jackson Hole is a fun town. If you can, check out Cody Wy. We're not huge museum go-ers, but the one there is great! Terrific variety of exhibits and something for everyone. We took the local trolley tour of the town--really interesting story about all Bill Cody did for the area.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:26 AM

I second the Cody, Wyoming suggestion!!!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded! We are going with Yellowstone/GTNP. That was our first choice and it was the consensus pick from the responses.

Thanks again
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Oh my goodness...we just returned from 12 days in Yellowstone and GTNP, and I am still on a high! They were beautiful.
You will not be sorry. We liked our stay at Lake Yellowstone and Old Faithful Inn, but loved Roosevelt cabins and Signal Mountain Lodge. Have a blast...We can't wait to return!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM

We visited both Y and GTNP in 2006. Glacier is beautiful - but Yellowstone is awesome - nothing else like it. Definitely Yellowstone for me.
I thirdsy Cody - a great little place. Cody Cowboy Village cabins were great. Close to the rodeo (do try to go - we went on 4th July!) and the Old Trail Town is just behind, which is well worth a visit.