Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Alaska accommodations recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/alaska-accommodations-recommendations-985011/)

bcsa Jul 13th, 2013 05:03 PM

Alaska accommodations recommendations

Hello - any recommendations for great places to stay in:

Cooper's Landing area
Seward
Talkeetna
Denali area
Fairbanks
Juneau
Sitka

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheshirecatt Jul 22nd, 2013 03:43 PM

I can tell you the places I have stayed which were good from a location point of view, and clean and comfortable.

Seward: Holiday Inn Express (fantastic location on the harbour, and walking distance to restaurants, and has an indoor pool and spa which we used daily). Perfect place from which to walk to Kenai Fjords Tour boats.

Cooper Landing: Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge (the large deck has incredible views over the emerald Kenai River), room had a fireplace and was very spacious and the restaurant food was good). We saw moose nearby.

Denali: Not many great options here. I have stayed at McKinley Village Lodge and as long as you upgrade to a river view room, it is really good. Our room was nice, comfortable, spacious, overlooked the river. The main lodge had a big fireplace and I would definitely stay there again. However,all rooms are not created equal, and the people who have the bad experiences there usually book the cheapest standard room ( I actually did so too, but we were fortunate to get upgraded as it was not really busy in early June and the river view room was very good indeed). If you don't have a car, check with them as I think they have shuttles. It is just a very short drive to the entrance of Denali National Park.

You could also try McKinley Creekside Cabins which looks decent for a few nights and has a good reputation. From what I understand you would need a car.

If you are looking for places to visit or things to do in Cooper Landing or Seward or Denali or Juneau, I have written about my Alaska travels on:
www.dreamhorsemedia.com/travel

Cheers,
Tracey

Fodorite018 Jul 22nd, 2013 06:13 PM

In Fairbanks, we stayed at Pike's Waterfront Lodge. It was nice and was right by the airport, which is what we needed. They have a free shuttle too. We would definitely stay there again.

bcsa Jul 23rd, 2013 09:13 AM

Thank you both so much! Your suggestions are very helpful!

panecott Jul 23rd, 2013 09:45 AM

I liked the Denali Cabins (NOT the Denali River Cabins) which are a few miles from the Visitors Center. They have a shuttle bus to and from the park, and the RR station.

I liked the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge in Talkeetna. It has fabulous views of Denali and a very nice dining room.

bcsa Jul 24th, 2013 04:57 AM

Great input! Thanks again!

bcsa Jul 25th, 2013 04:40 AM

Cheshirecatt, Your writing and descriptions about your various adventures in Alaska and the pictures are great! What a wonderful trip you had! Thank you for sending the link.

Cheshirecatt Jul 25th, 2013 01:38 PM

Thanks bcsa -have a great trip!