Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Alamo Car Rental (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/alamo-car-rental-170573/)

don Mar 11th, 2002 03:23 AM

Alamo Car Rental

I noticed a two year old post that had beeen brought up on these post about Alamo Car Rental agencies. I noticed that most of the people that had complaints about Alamo were talking about the rental agencies in Florida. I recently made a reservation for a car at Alamo in Phoenix. I will be dropping the car off in Las Vegas. Their rates were, by far, the cheapest of the major car rental agencies. Have people had the same bad experiences in the Southwest that people have had in Florida? Since this was a two year old post, has Alamo since improved or should I worry about this reservation? Maybe even switch to one of the more expensive ones?

xxx Mar 11th, 2002 03:46 AM

check out www.planetfeedback.com and see what they have to say about them. This is an amazing pro consumer website, that businesses small and large pay attention to. good luck!!

don Mar 11th, 2002 04:54 AM

To xxx: I checked out the site, and it's a very good site. I will probably get a lot of use out of it in the future. But as far as car rentals go it not easy to check about certain areas of the country without going through each complaint. Also. checking out other car rental agencies on this site, it seems that most of the postings are complaints, making it hard to do a comparison.

concerned Mar 11th, 2002 05:02 AM

I too have a rental car reservation for an Alamo car picking up at the Phoenix airport and returning to Las Vegas airport. I went to the suggested website above, but am aware that this is a very popular pickup and dropoff route. Any recent feedback from this particular route with an Alamo rental, or does anyone know of another rental company with no drop off fee for this route?

Goin Mar 11th, 2002 05:38 AM

Topping this since I am also interested in any southwest Alamo rentals.<BR>Will be renting from Salt Lake City.<BR><BR>Anyone with recent experience to comment on?

rob Mar 11th, 2002 05:45 AM

rented w/ alamo in san fran, LA, salt lake etc....no problems.........yet.

lcuy Mar 11th, 2002 09:49 AM

I rent quite often from Alamo in LA, San Diego and Portland, and even recently in Vicksburg Mississippi. I am always very very happy with the price and the car, and the often free upgrades. <BR>My husband rents just about as often, and HATES Alamo. They always have long lines or try to sell him an upgrade when they haven't got his car (and have to upgrade free anyway), and have even lost his reservation. He finally told me to NEVER book him with Alamo again. Hard to believe it is the same company!

karen Mar 11th, 2002 11:22 AM

Don: We rented through Alamo in Phx last year. Our experience wasn't negative but a little different. The location was not at the airport (although our rental was through the airport location) but the airport shuttle did take us there (we guess they just had more vehicles at this other location). We did drop it off back at the airport though! They didn't have our mid-size available so we got a smallish SUV (Chevy Blazer I think) which ended up being better and roomier for us. The car itself was in good shape and our rate was great. We're going out to Phx again in 2 weeks and are renting through Avis since they had the best rates this year.

Paul Mar 11th, 2002 01:49 PM

I had terrific luck with Alamo Car Rental at the Phoenix airport in February. The car was literally dropped off right to me, and then I dropped it off when I was finished - all at the front door to the airport!<BR><BR>The best deal I found for cars on that particular trip was through a website called 11th hour Vacations. They gave me a convertable for the price of a subcompact. Oh, and btw, there was no long line for me when I went to register at their airport booth.<BR><BR>Happy Trails,<BR>Paul<BR><BR>WebAddress to 11th Hour Vacations:<BR>http://www.11thhourvacations.com/index_home.php

msb Mar 13th, 2002 06:27 PM

I visit PHX every month and prefer to rent from Alamo when possible. They are located right in the airport terminal and it is most convenient.

Andre Mar 17th, 2002 08:39 AM

Hi Don<BR><BR>Just got back from a trip around AZ. Rented at Alamo in Phoenix airport and was satisfied - with a few caveats. Here's the lowdouwn:<BR><BR>1) location: Alamo is on-airport, no difference with Avis, Hertz etc. We landed at terminal 4 (Continental, America West and Southwest I think) and the rental car garage was a 5-10 min. walk from the bagage claim (you can get a skycap to take you there).<BR><BR>2) pickup: No line at the counter. I had been forewarned about the upgrade trick so I reserved a fullsize instead of an SUV which I wanted to rent. Sure enough, the agent told me that only a Chevy Malibu (a midsize IMO) was available at the rate I had reserved, but they did have a "special" on SUVs. Rate came out only marginally under what I had been quoted over the phone, but I got my pick of makes & models and chose a Chevy Trailblazer - very nice. So reserve a car 1 or 2 classes below what you intend to drive, that way you get to pick the model (I'm sure they would have had nicer fullsize cars available if I had reserved a midsize and upgraded)...<BR><BR>3) Silver Chevy Trailblazer with about 14k miles, reasonably clean BUT only 2WD! Beware if you are expecting a 4WD SUV as I was...<BR><BR>4) Return: at the top level of the same garage (again, this is terminal-specific). Went very fast with a guy printing a receipt from his handheld computer. Do NOT try to check in curbside before returning the car! The cops are completely crazy and will not let you stand for more than 30 seconds in front of the terminal - nearly got a ticket from the screaming a**hole although there was plenty of parking available...<BR><BR>All in all, Alamo can be a good deal if you play them right - see point 2)<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR>Andre

don Mar 17th, 2002 08:46 AM

Thanks Andre, that is just the kind of information that I was looking for.