AL-Huntsville & Rogersville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming down there for a wedding May 6-10. We will be staying in Huntsville the 6th and driving to Rogersville State Park, staying in the lodge the 7th-9th for the wedding. We will have @ 6 hours before the wedding on the 8th and were wondering if there was anything of interest in the Rogersville area. My kids are 12 & 9. We will be going to the Rocket & Space center the morning of the 7th or the 10th.

Also, we have been told alcohol is not served in the state park. Should we stock up a cooler of beer before we leave Huntsville or will we be able to buy it in/around Rogersville?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:01 PM

I know that Florence is wet, don't know about the county. Safe bet would be to fill the cooler in Huntsville.

While close to Florence you could visit the City of Tuscumbia where Ivy Green is located. Ivy Green is the birthplace of Helen Keller.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
BAK

I was at a funeral in Canada on Saturday where the deceased was a woman who travelled to Huntsville several times a year. Part of the funeral service commented on the high quality of discount shoe stores and discount women's wear stores in Huntsville. She'd be pleased, I'm sure, if other tourists took her place in the shopping economy.

BAK
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Great idea about the Helen Keller place and I'll be sure to buy beer before we leave Huntsville. Thanks for the advice. I couldn't help but laugh about the woman and her shopping habits being mentioned at a funeral service. She must have been some character! And I'll be sure to do my part in honoring her memory with some new shoe purchases.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 03:29 PM

If you like unusual places you might want to stop off in Scottsboro which is home to Unclaimed Baggage. They buy most of the luggage lost or unclaimed by the airlines. Sometimes you can get good bargins. They have a suit of armor on display as well as artifical limbs which people "lost".
In Lynchburg, TN (about an hour from Huntsville) is home of Jack Daniels Distillery. They have an interesting free tour. The town just a couple of blocks from the plant is small and quaint. If you want to experience "home cooking" try to get a reservation at Mary BoBo Boarding House. They only serve lunch. 11am & 1pm. It is served family style with a hostess and a couple of families together in a room call 931-759-7394 as fills months in advance sometimes.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. After talking with family down there last night we won't have time afterall on Saturday before the wedding. Some family activity is planned to kill time before the wedding the night.