Al di La Sunday lunch after flea market?

Aug 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Al di La Sunday lunch after flea market?

We are off to NYC in October and are trying to imagine schedules without going overboard. We are set to hit the flea in DUMBO on Sunday am . I orignally thought we would walk across the Brooklyn Bridge after that but am now thinking maybe we should have lunch at Al di La and then walk across the bridge. Does this seem nuts? If not, how do we get from DUMBO to Al di La (Park Slope)? Many thanks.
Aug 24th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Hi Pam,
Al di La is a bit of a walk from the Brooklyn Bridge. I would guess it would be around 30-45 minute walk from the restaurant to the bridge. I would probably recommend sticking with your original plan of going to the Brooklyn Flea in Dumbo and then walking across the BK Bridge. Plus the flea market has some really great food vendors, so even though you may miss out eating at Al di La, you'll still be eating good!

I hope this helps!
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We discovered Al di La is closed for lunch so walkng back across the bridge it is. Thank you for tip about food vendors. Lunch should be good as we wander about the flea market. We decided we might go back to Manhattan rest up and hop back on the subway later that evening for dinner at Al di La or eat at The Little Owl closer to where we will be staying.
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Good plan!

Just fyi--The Little Owl is tiny so getting a reservation may be difficult. Call ahead and see what happens. Also, Al Di La doesn't take reservations so expect a wait. The food is excellent at both restaurants.
Aug 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Noodle Pudding in BK Hieghts is close to the DUMBO flea and is also a great Italian Restaurant.
Aug 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM

Hi Pam. Where are you staying?
Aug 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Bill~Chelsea Lodge Suites on W. 20th between 8th and 9th for a week(kitchenette for all those food findings is included).

On our return leg of the trip(after the Berkshires) we will be at The Lucerne.
Aug 26th, 2009, 11:10 AM

My recommendation would be to have lunch at Grimaldi's Pizza, one of the best pizza places in New York. It's right on the edge of Dumbo. If it's a nice day, and they're not too busy, they'll make a pie to go. You can take it to the Empire Fulton State Park, about a five minute walk from the pizzeria, which is a little park right on the East River with views of both the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge, as well as lower Manhattan. There are picnic tables in the park. (This is one of my favorite things to do.) Since there are a lot of artists working in the neighborhood, the park displays various sculptures from local artists. You should also check out the Jacques Torres chocolate shop while you're in Dumbo, and try one of his hot chocolates. Amazing!
Aug 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Newsie~We actually ate at both Grimaldi's and Jacques Torres last trip to NYC. We're branching out a bit.
Aug 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM

There are many restaurants on Atlantic Avenue including a few mideastern, Spanish, and hip American. ALso along Smith and Union Streets are many spots open for brunch.