Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Airport transportation-NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/airport-transportation-nyc-318964/)

leesimmons May 20th, 2003 08:59 AM

Airport transportation-NYC

Hello, Fodorite's, could someone provide some information regarding an airport shuttle or taxi service? We are staying in midtown Manhattan (W. 54th) over Memorial Day and we (two adults and an 11-year-old) arrive and depart from La Guardia. Thanks.

GoTravel May 20th, 2003 09:04 AM

The absolute least hassle is to take a taxi. Cost you around $30 including tax, tip, tolls, and fare.

Statia May 20th, 2003 09:12 AM

I agree...taxi is the easiest and quickest route to go.

leesimmons May 20th, 2003 09:39 AM

That's what I figured, but wanted some confirmation. Thank you.

lisettemac May 20th, 2003 10:27 AM

Leesimmons -- I agree with the others that, for 3 people, a taxi is the way to go. It's really easy to get one. Just follow the signs at La Guardia to "ground transportation" at the baggage claim area. At ground transportation, follow the signs to "taxi stand." You will wait in a line with a dispatcher at the front who calls the taxis. Be sure that you wait in the taxi stand line and do not accept a ride from any of the guys trawling the area asking if you need a ride or a taxi. They are called "gypsy cabs" and do not operate on a meter (so you never know if you're overpaying) and are also famously underinsured. Your taxi should be a yellow medallion taxi.

Good luck and have a great trip!

leesimmons May 22nd, 2003 07:48 AM

Thanks, folks, the advice is much appreciated. I imagine that getting back to the airport, we just do the same in reverse? Can you arrange it in advance? Thanks, again.

janie May 22nd, 2003 07:59 AM

To get a cab back to the airport, just have the doorman at your hotel hail one.
You don't need to call a cab in advance as they roam the streets.
You can call a car service in advance if you feel more comfortable having that pre-arranged. There are set fees to the airport (plus toll and tip , of course) and they are about the same as what a metered cab would cost. Some companies people mention a lot here are Tel Aviv and Carmel, but check with your hotel and in the tourist guidebooks you'll find in the hotel and around the city for names, phone numbers and prices (and often discount coupons, which may also be on the company's web site)

Statia May 22nd, 2003 08:00 AM

I would imagine you can just hail a cab back to the airport, but I understand that it's a metered fare (rather than flat rate) from the city back to the airports.

I always call a car service since I usually have to leave the hotel at 4:30 a.m. That way, I know it's taken care of, and the price is about the same as the inbound trip. I've always used New Family Car Service (don't have their number with me) and they've been very reliable.

EmilyC May 22nd, 2003 08:00 AM

Hi Lee,
It should be very easy to hail a cab for your return trip.
I always get a laugh when I arrive at the curb with my luggage in NYC after a business meeting. It seems that the cab drivers have great eyes for spotting luggage....I never have a problem!

MFNYC May 22nd, 2003 08:20 AM

At the airport you shouldn't have any trouble getting a taxi to manhattan, but there are times of the day where it is difficult to get a taxi in NYC, specifically when there is a shift change. This usually is around 4:30-5:30pm. It also can be difficult in bad weather. At just a bit more than the cost of a taxi, you can arrange for a car service to pick you up at the hotel to return to the airport (Carmel, Allstate, Tel Aviv, to name a few services).

hipster70 May 22nd, 2003 09:10 AM

LeeSimmons,
I just got back from New York...We stayed on 32nd street and flew into LaGuardia...The cab was ONLY $ 23.00 with toll and tip..To be honest, it seems the easiest thing to do is to take a cab...There is a taxi stand, and they get you the cab really quickly...

Have fun in New York! YOu will love it!

leesimmons May 22nd, 2003 09:50 AM

You folks are great! We are off tommorrow and again, thanks for the useful tips. Lee

mabel May 22nd, 2003 10:09 AM

Cab fare from LaGuardia is a flat rate of $35, not $30. Just FYI.

mabel May 22nd, 2003 10:10 AM

And to my knowledge, the $35 does not include tip.

hipster70 May 22nd, 2003 10:16 AM

Mabel,
Thats from JFK..there is no flat rate from and to LaGuardia....

DavidDJ_ May 22nd, 2003 12:33 PM

lee,

This site has good information on transportation from LaGuardia into Manhattan.

Have a great time in the City.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgtsmain.HTM

leesimmons May 29th, 2003 09:54 AM

As a follow-up, we returned from our holiday weekend in NYC and following the advice of several posters, we took the taxi to and from La Guardia. It was both easy and cost-effective, costing less than $30.00 each way to our hotel on W. 54th.

Thanks again to everyone that replied.